35. Completion

"Hi guys!" Wrecker yelled, stumbling as he kicked off his boots and barreled into the room. "Oooo, Vel, it smells delicious in here!"

Hunter soon followed, wearing one of the locals' hats that made him look even more rugged along with the beard he now sported. "I wrapped some fresh steaks and put them in the chest freezer out back," he announced, pulling the hat off of his tousled head of hair and hanging it in the entryway.

"I'm pretty sure he stole something out of it too," came Echo's surly voice, though his pale face was curved by a warm smile as he squeezed through the door.

"Well hello everybody," Vel laughed, glancing at the wall chrono. "We just finished dinner; thought no one was coming!"

"We're not here for dinner!" announced Fives, piling into the cottage behind Echo. The living room had been arranged to accommodate as many people as possible, and once Crosshair had sidled in and shut the door behind him, it felt absolutely full in the best way. Other clones had come to Bendego as well, but their visits were more occasional and always planned.

"Alrighty then!" she responded cheerfully, still immediately beginning to rummage in the kitchen for a large serving platter, where she began to assemble every acceptable snack and finger food they had in the house.

Wrecker clapped Tech across the back and pulled him into a giant hug, whispering none too quietly, "So, did you do it yet?"

"No, Wrecker, and do keep your voice down," Tech answered, flustered. "I told you – you all have to do your part first."

"Ohhhh, oh right," Wrecker said, beaming ear to ear. "I'm just so proud of you." He ruffled Tech's hair with his knuckles, earning a squawk of protest as well as an under-the-breath chuckle from Crosshair, who had nestled himself in his favorite corner chair immediately.

Vel had been surprised by how much she enjoyed playing host. Perhaps as someone who had never felt welcomed or sufficient, it was a way for her to love and serve others generously, to ensure that they always had the impression that they were valued and a joy to have around. But whatever the cause, she always felt content with a full home. Granted, she was just as content to be cuddled up with Tech on the couch, watching the trees fade to black outside as evening gave way to night... They were both wonderful in their own way. So as she perched on the armrest next to Tech, gazing around at the faces of her beloved family, she couldn't resist a misty-eyed smile as she considered how drastically different their lives all were now as compared to before.

"Psst – get up, di'kut," Echo whispered, elbowing Fives in the side. The two of them were taking up the other seats on the plush sofa beside Tech, and apparently Fives had just been volunteered to give Vel a proper place to sit.

"You get up!" Fives laughed, jabbing his brother right back. "Alright! Alright..." he caved in the face of Echo's scomp arm, which was cocked and ready to deliver a much sharper poke at any continued protest. Fives hauled himself to his feet, muttering a fond insult under his breath as Echo scooted over to take his place, beckoning Tech to follow so that Vel could sit beside him. A steady stream of muttered threats and insults about the nerve of these disabled war veterans and their sense of entitlement followed him all the way to his new seat – a wooden chair pulled up from the dining table.

"Aww, the battle-hardened ARC trooper's backside is too delicate for the harshness of a wooden chair," Crosshair needled, at which Echo laughed delightedly.

"Yeah, Fives – not such a hard-ass now, are you?" he joined in, watching Fives' determined effort to hide his smirk behind a squinting look of disdain.

"Ahh, your mother's a droid," he said dismissively, making a hand gesture at Echo that effectively ended the conversation, as they were both snickering too hard to speak further.