30. Costuming

LISTEN. I am chopping and rearranging the canon timeline like nobody's business, but I swear it all works out. ;) If you'd like more of an explanation than what I tried to convey in the story, check the notes at the end of the chapter. It'll be well worth it, trust me. ;) Also... I know there are tons of "wait, but what about–" kinds of points to be made with where the story goes, and I was going crazy trying to account for them all, but... just... ssshhh. Just enjoy. LOL!

—-----------------------------------------------------------

"Look at youuuu!" the grizzled old shopkeeper exclaimed, clapping Vel on the back as she faced a dirty old mirror. "It's like it was made for you, sweetie!" The delight on the woman's face was so pronounced that Vel couldn't do anything but stare at her reflection, mouth slightly open in a dumbfounded stare.

"I... ah... Thank you," she stuttered, barely able to recognize the person looking back at her. She'd never been one for makeup, but everything had escalated quickly out of control today, and she now had dark, accentuated eyebrows, bright green eyeshadow, and peachy pink lips. Her hair had been piled on top of her head, twisting in some elaborate poof that led to a large green flower before spilling down her back. She wasn't sure she'd ever seen so much green in her entire life. On the plus side, it did compliment and contrast with her skin quite well, and it made her smile inside as she remembered Tech noticing that her eye color was not gray, as many assumed, but a dark pale green.

"Oh honey... He is going to have trouble getting his eyes off of you!" the vendor continued, making one last adjustment to the puff sleeves as Vel awkwardly tried to pull the tight shirt back over the frilly bra cups. She'd never seen such a contraption – this "push-up" bra suddenly made her look as though she were significantly more well-endowed than she was, and with the polka-dot shirt tied snugly at the top of her stomach, the hems curved over her now-voluptuous chest and created the illusion that she was positively spilling out of it. Not only that, but the skirt, as twirly and fun as it was, had a huge slit nearly all the way up, which meant that anything more than a small step would reveal the seamed stockings and garter belt underneath. Fortunately, it was high-waisted, and accentuated with adorable gold buttons that held in the parts of her stomach she was less confident about. But other than that, it didn't leave too much to the imagination. When the woman produced a sharp pair of black high heels to go with it, Vel couldn't help but chuckle and shake her head.

"I don't think I can walk in those," she admitted, noting that even the bottom of the soles was the same flashy color as the rest of the outfit.

"That's what his arm is for," the woman answered, waving her off as though it were a ridiculous thing to say. "Come on, step in. Wait til you see what these do for your backside!"

After only a few ungainly wobbles, Vel stood up straight again, and the ensemble was complete. She stared at herself in the mirror, puzzled at the conflicting emotions. No matter how many times the shopkeeper reassured her that she was stunning, beautiful, and would have been a complete hit during the era these clothes were popular, there was an odd queasiness in her stomach. She wasn't one to be "sexy"... the disaster with Jouren Terrik had cemented that. And when she'd gotten fancied up for that, with a dress that covered much more skin, Tech had said she was good bait for the unintelligent male gaze. She was much more comfortable in a mechanic's coveralls or loose-fitting tunics; things she could hide behind rather than being exposed, noticed, and found wanting. Taking a deep breath, she tried to shift her perspective... She was simply playing a role tonight.

VEL FANART!! By mythical-illustrator on Tumblr! I love all the different ways people see her! And below her is the costume inspiration for Tech. ;) 

 ;)