26. Refreshment

One particular afternoon a week later took everyone by surprise when they found a suddenly free schedule on an unbelievably beautiful planet. It was much-needed, as they had been getting at each other's throats after a long period of time with grueling hours and increasingly difficult objectives. Wrecker and Crosshair both had become even more caustic than usual in cutting off Tech's rambling and chiding him for his information sharing, and he seemed to lack his usual spark. Hunter seemed like an exhausted parent, trying to maintain the focus of the other three despite the conflicts that seemed to crop up out of nowhere. It was definitely time for a break.

The team was grateful for the space, and each found their own way to rest and rejuvenate. Tech's, oddly enough, was to invite Vel on a hike. The opportunity to enjoy time with him made it a no-brainer for her, although she wondered if his personal way of blowing off steam was to retreat into nature or to engage in strenuous physical activity. Regardless, it started off full of warm and fuzzy feelings and adorable flirtation as they walked enthusiastically along a rocky precipice.

After a few hours, however, the euphoria was wearing off. Vel could have sworn that Tech had crossed his own path at least three times, and she would have placed a hefty wager on the odds that he was lost. She hadn't thought it possible, if she was honest, and found herself beginning to form some strategies of how to best get back to the ship. The sun had dipped below the horizon a while ago, and the beauty of the purple sky had faded until everything was cast in a murky grey tone that made it difficult to see. Tech continued winding his way up a steep hill, and the burn in Vel's calves and quads was reaching a disproportionately uncomfortable level.

"You... uhh..." she began, running into Tech's back as he stopped abruptly in front of her. He was facing her in a flash, eyes warm behind their golden lenses.

"I am not lost, if that is causing any apprehension," he stated, causing her to marvel at his anticipation of her concerns. His brothers teased him and called him a robot at times, but his emotional intelligence was just as sharp as his intellect; he just had different thresholds of when and how to apply it. "Do you trust me?" he asked pertly.

"I mean, I trust your character, and I know you're endlessly smart..." Vel began, a smile breaking through her mock seriousness. "Yes! Yes," she laughed as his eyes widened and he puffed himself up for a thorough address of her statements. "I trust you, Tech." She intended to say it plainly, but there was a soft admission to it that surprised her, and it didn't go unnoticed that it sent a wave of warm affection through Tech as well.

"Good," he said, swallowing a bit harder than usual before turning to continue up the path. She followed behind, soaking up the beauty of the rich landscape as well as the decidedly toned butt in front of her that had clearly been sculpted well by soldier training and extracurricular Noghri combat forms. It was still holding her attention when the ground leveled out beneath her feet and a chilly breeze brushed her cheeks and hair. It wasn't until Tech stopped, holding an arm out to block her from continuing, that she jerked her head up to take in the new surroundings.

They were on top of a mountain, or so it seemed. She could see for miles in every direction, above the tops of the trees that were scattered about on every side, and she gasped when she noticed that there was more to it -- a motley collection of fabric and pillows had been arranged into a makeshift bed in the middle of the clearing, and a few emergency glow orbs had been illuminated on the edges of the blankets. Her mind took a flying leap, and she gawked at him, wildly aroused yet reeling in disbelief.

"What... what's all this?" she stuttered, another wave of heat blooming through her as he turned his golden eyes back to her.

"This planet is notorious for meteor showers due to its... Never mind, that is extraneous information... There is a meteor shower tonight--"