Chapter Twelve

"Why did you choose to come to the beach?" I ask as I park the car.

"Because I like coming to the beach at night," she unbuckles her shoes placing them on the floor before replacing it with sandals.

"So what do you want to talk about?" I open the door for her as she slides out.

"I don't know whatever pops into my head," she chuckles as we started walking towards the beach.

"But what if nothing pops into our heads?"

"Then we can just walk on the beach at night is that alright with you," she stops to give me a look.

"Yeah that's fi-"

"I thought so," we continue walking towards the sand. I stopped for a minute take off my socks and shoes then roll up my pants.

"Why do you still associate yourself with Harriett?"

"I thought that we had already talked about this, babe it's because of the baby.

"If the baby isn't yours then why did you still have to take care of her?"

"I wasn't going to send a pregnant lady on her way. That's not me."

"I know that, I'm ju-" she stops when she hears my phone going off. Taking it out of my phone out I see that it is Harriett calling me, without thinking I tap on the decline button. Before I could put it up she started calling me again. "She just doesn't go away," Mya mutters walking ahead of me.

"Look I'm trying Mya alright I don't know what she wants from me. I already told her that the friendship that we had is over," she continues to walk as if she doesn't hear me. "I want whatever is happening between us to go to the next level, I know that I can't do that with her being in my life," I grab her hand stopping her.

"Just out of curiosity," she says turning around but not looking at me, "have you ever thought that maybe the baby that Harriett is carrying could be yours?" she looks me in my eyes waiting for my answer.

"She told me that the child isn't mines, I don't know what else you want me to say?"

"Nothing it was just my thought, you never told me that you had a DNA test."

"I offered, she felt insulted I let it go. Just like you need to do let, it, go."

"But what if the baby is yours?"

"Why are you so worried about it?"

"I don't know I don't want you to be blindsided that's all," she shrugs her shoulders looking at me with those big brown eyes.

"Thank you for worrying about me, but you don't need to."

"I'm always going to worry about you Tanner, whether you believe me or not I always will," she stands in front of me caressing me the area behind my ears. Through the darkness we were able to make eye contact through the moonlight. We stood that way for a few minutes before she looked away blushing.

"So, how is life treating you?" she walks beside me leaning her head against my shoulder as our hands connect.

"It's doing pretty well, how about yours?"

"Better now, how are your parents doing?"

"I don't know I haven't talked to them in a couple of months."

"Why is that?"

"A lot of shit has happened, and I am just trying to get over it."

"What happened?" she looks up at me with curiosity.