Chapter Twenty-Two

"Tanner my appointment is at eleven o'clock today. Please tell me that you told your uncle, or aunt, that so I don't have to reschedule it again."

Pft your appointment.

"Alright My, Thomas said that I can come in ear-"

"Nu uh, no, you do that and Susan will find a way to make to stay longer than you said that you would. So then it would be too late for me to reschedule, and I would have to go in looking like a single mother."

"Is that the main reason why you want me to go, so that you don't look like a single mother?" I ask trying not to sound hurt.

"Yeah," she says like I asked the most obvious thing.

"Um not to burst your little bubble, but you are a single mother since you're not married."

"I know that, but they don't know that."

"But they will when they see that you have no ring on your finger, and we don't have the same last name."

"I still have my class ring that looks like an engagement ring, and, hello Tanner, this is the twenty-first century, I don't have to have the same last name as your spouse," I can tell by the tone of her voice that she is rolling her eyes.

"Whatever you say, I just don't know why you have to prove a point to anyone though? You just be honest about the situation."

"And tell them what Tanner, that we are two grown people that stupidly did not use protection when engaging in sexual orientation, which, I might add, caused us to conceive a child out of wedlock?"

"Fine."

"So, uh, I'll see you later, I have to call Tom to let him know that I will be coming in late instead of early."

"Are you going to tell him the reason?"

"Yes, he's going to understand because he wasn't there for the birth of his kids."

"He couldn't make it?"

"No, Susan didn't want him there."

"Oh wow."

"Yeah, so I think that he would be a little understanding."

"Well I want you to know that I wouldn't do that to you right?"

"Yeah I know, but you do know that this might be the only time that I would get to an appointment with you right?"

"Why?"

"Because I can't call in late or early every month, and I want to work as much as I can take some time off when the baby gets here."

"Tanner, you need to look for a new job."

"You don't think that I'm doing that?!" I didn't mean to snap, but she was really working my nerve.

"Well I don't know you don't tell me anything."

"I don't say anything to anybody until everything is in order. Look I gotta go, I'll see you later."

"Don't be late," she says before hanging up.

"Bye to you too," I start to dial Tom's number waiting for him to pick up.

"Yes, Tanner."

"Hey Tom, I was just calling to let you know that I will be coming in late for work," I hold my breath waiting for his response.

"Sure I'll let Susan know that I can work your shift. But, if you mind me asking, why are you coming in late?"

"Mya has her first appointment today and she wants me to be there."