State of Emergency

Demi and Dinah rushed through the doors of the emergency room and felt the smell of the hospital burn their noses, "Help, she's having a seizure!" Dinah exclaimed as they ran up to the front desk. Just as a doctor approached the group and took Lauren into his arms, she stopped convulsing. He continued to take her back to an empty emergency bay as he introduced himself before he laid Lauren down on the bed.

The small girl opened her eyes groggily for a moment before once again going into convulsions. The doctor, who Dinah and Demi now knew as Dr.Deluca, administered a shot to Lauren, and moments later, her convulsing stopped.

Dinah sighed out of relief and stressfully ran a hand through her hair as Dr.Deluca made quick work of hooking Lauren up to all of the equipment so she could be monitored.

"I'm going to check her vitals now that she's stable," Dr.Deluca explained to the girls, who nodded. He got a reading on her temperature and put it into his tablet before letting the machines take the rest of her vitals and saving them in the system.

"How long has she had this high of a fever?" Dr.Deluca inquired. Demi and Dinah looked towards one another for reassurance.

"She had one of 102 before I gave her some medicine, but it went up to 105 just recently today," Dinah responded.

"Okay, well that was definitely a febrile seizure caused by the fever, so we will do some bloodwork to try and determine why she has such a high fever in the first place, and in the meantime, the Diazepam I gave her should help prevent any more seizures while we monitor her and work to bring her fever down," Dr.Deluca spoke.

"Okay, Thank you," Dinah replied.

"I'm going to get her bloodwork to the lab. I'll be back with an update once any results are in. A nurse will be in with you shortly with some medication for her to help bring down her fever," Dr.Deluca continued.

Demi and Dinah nodded, "Thank you," they both said. Dr.Deluca walked out of the room and the couple turned their attention back to Lauren, who was starting to wake up. Demi laid Camila down on the big comfy chair in the room and made sure she was comfortable before walking over to Lauren. Dinah gently smoothed the small girl's hair.

"Hey. sweetheart. How do you feel?" She asked. Lauren opened her eyes and looked around the room. Noticing she wasn't at home, she sat up in bed and looked around before starting to cry.

"Aww, honey," Demi cooed, taking a seat on the bed and wiping away Lauren's tears.

"She's probably confused, D," Demi suggested. Dinah nodded, picking Lauren up, careful not to tamper with the wires attached to her, and sat down with the crying girl on her lap. Dinah ran her fingers through Lauren's hair.

"Shhh, you're just at the hospital. Everything is going to be okay. They're just checking you out because you don't feel good. Okay?" Dinah spoke softly. Lauren sniffled but nodded and rested her head on Dinah's chest.

"That's my girl," Dinah smiled down at Lauren, giving her a little squeeze, and making her giggle. Just then, the nurse walked in.

"Good morning, I'm Nurse Amelia, I'll be taking care of Lauren today," she said with a cheerful smile. Lauren looked up at her before bashfully burying her face back in Dinah's jumper.

"Aww, don't be shy. I'm here to help you feel better," the nurse said softly, walking over to the equipment to check Lauren's vital signs. As the nurse was explaining what medications she would be giving Lauren, Camila started to cry in her sleep. Demi and Dinah shared a concerned look.

"I'll get her," Demi offered, getting up from the bed and making her way over to the crying girl. As the nurse tended to Lauren, Demi tended to Camila. Demi gently shook Camila, hoping to wake her.