Chapter 9 - Miraya

I will not cry.

Miraya helps Priya prepare their sleeping arrangements for the night. The upstairs room had recently been built in preparation for their son's marriage, where he will stay with his bride. They were saving up to buy the furniture, so there was no bed in the room. All they had to offer for bedding was a cotton mattress laid out on the floor and some sheets. When Jaggi said she and Veer would take the upstairs room, she was not surprised. They were supposedly engaged, so it was obvious. She was not concerned about modesty or safety because, one, Veer had not made a single move on her, and two, he apparently found her quite upsetting.

Except for that brief moment after her panic attack, when he looked like he was going to kiss her, which she is now certain her tired brain had cooked up.

Which is just fine by me. Why would a man be attracted to someone who needs their hand held to go pee in the dark?

Fluffing the thin handmade mattress out, Priya tries making small talk, asking Miraya where she was from, how she met Veer, and why she was on this trip. Miraya tries to keep her answers vague but close to the truth. She doesn't know what Veer is telling the men downstairs and does not want to be responsible for saying the wrong thing. She should have just listened to him prep her in the jeep.

But his outburst back in the jeep had frightened her. So far, he had been considerate towards her, but he could also very quickly switch. She shouldn't forget that. He was a stranger, larger and stronger than her, and his goodwill was not guaranteed.

And she hated admitting it; his statement had hurt her.

She had heard similar ones from Utsav often enough. How he would get frustrated with her, yelling at her over and over again. She really couldn't do anything right.

I will not cry.

Veer's offer to help her eat had been unexpected. And humiliating. Especially in that pained, pitiful way he had looked at her. Like she was so incompetent that she could not even feed herself.

Well, she could. She just needed a spoon. Thank you very much.

Priya continues to chatter about her son, her husband, and their marriage. She had brought a small bowl of kheer, a sweet rice pudding she had quickly made because she felt bad about Miraya's meager meal.

"You will feel better after eating this, bhabhiji." Priya urges her to finish the whole cup, not that Miraya needed coaxing. Her generous curves were proof that she had a giant sweet tooth and couldn't resist anything sugary.

"Thank you. T-This is very delicious." Miraya licks the last spoonful in appreciation, grateful for Priya's generosity and kindness. She was feeling much better; the urge to burst into tears had thankfully abated. She had been quite relieved to see a woman inside the house when she had stepped through the gate with Veer. A family meant it was safe. Safer, at least.

"Arre, I'm happy you like it. You ate nothing! How can I let you sleep on an empty stomach? And it looks like you and Veerji have been fighting, eh? It's not good for a new couple."

Great.

"Just b-been a long and tiring day. The c-curfew and d-detour have been unexpected. Veer has been d-driving all day." Miraya offers as explanation.

"Yes, yes. It's hard, this driving business. Very tiring, I know. He looks exhausted, for sure. But still, he can't take his eyes off you, your Veere, eh? Always sitting so close." Priya giggles teasingly.

My Veere? Yeah, right.

"He asked me for the ghee for your lip. Told me how you keep biting it when you are nervous-a very bad habit, bhabhiji. But so caring of him, no? It's rare; trust me, men barely notice."