9. Getting Her Back

unedited chapter

"We have to hurt in order to know. Fall in order to grow, loose in order to gain. Because most of life's lessons are taught through pain".

~*~

Blake couldn't believe his ears. No. No please don't tell me.

"Lucy, it's me, Blake," he said, slowly, his deepest fears crawling inside him. She looked at him, blankly. Tears of disbelief formed in Blake's eyes. He'd already suffered so much, had already gone through a lot of pain, and now this.

"Lucy.. you can't do this, NO!" he said, holding her by her shoulders, staring into her eyes. Mrs. Goodwin looked at her daughter, surprised.

"Lucy, it's Blake, y..you can't forget him," Kristine said, looking at her, trying to get that memory out of her.

Doctor Lee entered the hospital. "Memory loss," he stated.

Blake's heart drowned. His hopes, which were once like shinning stars were now being swallowed by a big black hole in the sky of darkness. He couldn't take it anymore.

"But..but Lucy remembers us," Kristine said. Doctor Lee shook his head.

"Most of her memory is lost. However, she does remember some people," doctor Lee said.

Blake sat down silently, totally oblivious of what was going on now. He buried his head in his hands. All these years, those beautiful memories he's spent with Lucy were gone from her head. Those beautiful pages of love, of friendship, of family, of trust, were erased, crushed and thrown away. Not needed anymore.

"Will she ever get it back?" Eros said.

"She might. And then again, she might not," doctor Lee said. "Lucy had a brain trauma, and hence was in coma. After a brain trauma its normal to have persistent cognitive and emotional disabilities which includes memory loss"

No one present there could believe what was happening. Blake would be the last person Lucy would forget.

"Look, Lucy. If this is some kind of joke, then for God's sake it isn't funny," Kristine said, looking at her. Lucy shook her head as her beautiful eyes scrutinized Blake's handsome face. She just stared at him, a neutral expression on her face.

"Blake...," she said, slowly. Blake looked up at her, into her eyes. "I..I don't remember.. This name seems familiar."

Blake exhaled deeply, as his blue eyes looked at her.

"We need to take her home, now, Blake," Eros said, sadly. Blake nodded and got up. Lucy looked at him, thinking what relation she might have had with him. He was really attractive with his blonde hair and blue eyes. Even though Lucy had forgotten about him, she felt an unknown warmth towards him.

He extended his hand towards her. Lucy hesitated for a moment and looked at her mother for assurance. Mrs.Goodwin nodded sadly at her. Lucy grabbed his hand slowly as she got up. Blake's heart sunk with each of her moves. The Lucy who he loved, and who loved him back, now hesitated in taking his hand. He held her hand tightly, afraid to let go, as he helped her stand up. Lucy felt a tingle of uneasiness but she kept herself in control, so that Blake, who she now had an unknown relation with felt a little better. The feeling of hurt was clearly spread across Blake's face. Lucy felt guilty, guilty of something she didn't do voluntarily, but which hurt the others to their core.

They got inside the car and Eros and Kristine sat in front. Blake helped Lucy get inside.

"You okay?" he said, concerned. She nodded and gave him a smile, an assuring smile. Blake got inside and sat down beside her. They didn't talk in the whole journey. Blake just stared out of the window, his heart breaking as each minute passed.

As soon as they reached home, Heather embraced her sister.

"Welcome back, Lucy," she said, smiling at her sadly. Lucy smiled back and they went upstairs to her room. Heather stayed with them for a while, talking to Lucy, feeling immense happiness to get her back. However, she was upset too. She couldn't believe her sister had forgotten Blake, she didn't want her to forget such a gem in her life. In the evening, she hugged Lucy once again, and went outside.

"It's going to be okay, Blake. Just take care, okay?" Heather said to Blake before leaving. Blake nodded and went inside.

"We go to go too,Lucy. Blake will take care of you, okay?" Kristine said.

"Okay," she replied. Blake stared at Lucy.

"I'll get you some food," he said, going downstairs. Lucy liked Blake's presence. She liked the way he looked at her, with so much love and affection. She just wished she wasn't hurting him too much. Blake entered the room and placed the food tray on her lap.

"Thank you," she said, smiling at her. Blake smiled back, a genuine smile. Lucy realized he looked better smiling, looked beautiful smiling. She ate her food in silence, looking at the sun set.

"Blake?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry".

Blake looked at her in surprise.

"I don't remember what relation I had with you, Blake.. But it must have been beautiful. And I'm sorry".

Blake almost prevented the tears falling from his eyes. "It's okay, Lucy."

She leaned and threw her arms around Blake. Blake was surprised for a moment, but then he softened. He hugged her back, feeling happy after a long time, feeling her after a long time. He wanted her back, so badly.

"Would you tell me something our relation?" she said, after a while.

He nodded. "We loved each other, Lucy. You created some of the best memories in my life.."

~*~

Blake sat down on his bed as Kristine and Eros walked around the room.

"We have to get her back, somehow," Kristine stated.

"We've lost her.... she's never going to come back," Blake said, his hopes dropping.

"No we haven't," Kristine said, annoyed.

"We can always try. We'll make her do everything all over again," Eros said, looking at his friend.

"Yeah, Its mission 'getting her back'," Kristine smiled.

"Stop being childish Kristine," Blake said, looking at her.

"We can't loose her, Blake. We have to try," she said, softening, as her eyes turned moist with tears.

"And if you won't join us, we'll do it alone," Eros said.

Blake remained silent for some time.

"Okay," he said.

Eros and Kristine smiled at him.

"And we start from tomorrow itself," they said to him.

~*~~*~

Next chapter: Do you still love me?