18. The Engagement

"They thirsted for love,
But found only a mirage,
Some hearts are like a desert,
You die wandering in."

~*~

"Today's your big day, Lucy!" Kristine said, looking at her and setting her hair. Lucy saw her reflection in the mirror. The Indian ghagra  did wonders on her. Her face wore a smile, but not an inch of make-up. She had refused it again. She smiled seeing herself look so different. It had been years since she had worn Indian.

"I guess it is," she replied with a lighted smile shinning upon her face. Kristine finished the final touches on her hair, smiling at her with a sort of sisterly affection.

"Something is going to be different today," she said to Lucy. Lucy raised her eyebrows.

"What?"

"Blake"

"How?"

"You'll see. Now let's go," she said, holding Lucy and bringing her out of the door.

The hall was filled with people chatting among themselves. On seeing her, they turned and gasped at her beauty. Lucy looked like rain on barren lands, like rainbows on skies which had only seen darkness. She was a surprise in the wells of monotony and nobody could help appreciate the vibes of purity which radiated from inside her like. Her eyes searched for Blake in the crowd. He was talking to the guests.

Lucy stepped on the last stair when she saw Blake. She couldn't believe her eyes. He had worn an Indian sherwani, a dark blue one, which complimented his blonde hair and fair skin very well. He looked at her. His eyes seemed to have reached the closest they could get to heaven upon seeing the person he had loved, so dearly, for all his life and more, looking straight at him, waiting to spend the rest of her life with him. He. walked and extended his hand towards her. She accepted.

"You look beautiful," he whispered.

"And you, like magic," she smiled, gazing at him as if he were the stars.

They sat down on the sofa , and Mrs. Halter opened a small violet box. She handed the diamond ring to Blake. He took it. Lucy extended as Blake lovingly slid the ring into her finger. Then, she slid the ring into his.

The crowd applauded. Lucy and Blake looked at each other and smiled. Their dreams were coming true and there was to be, waiting like an envelope to be opened, a life full of laughter, maybe a few fights and downfalls, but full of love and compassion.

Eros and Kristine went up on the stage .

"We have something to say," they said together. The gathering turned to them and an earsplitting silence spread across the hall. Eros took the mic first.

"Congratulations to both of you," he began, "We've grown up so fast. Time flew by just like that. Us enjoying, playing, laughing, joking and now, marrying. I remember each and every moment we spent together, laughing and crying, falling and lifting, dancing and watching moving waters with stillness. I remember Kristine teasing Lucy all the time since childhood," he looked at Kristine and Lucy who smiled. " I remember Blake and myself discussing about you girls," Blake nodded. " I remember all those moments when we cried on each other's shoulders and laughed until our stomachs ached. And now, I'll always remember this smile on both your faces," Lucy and Blake looked at each other, their heart melting slowly like ice in a hot bowl. "You've grown up to be such fine humans, both of you. So supportive, so strong, so caring. I don't know how to thank you. You've been our parents when we needed it, our friend, our family. So thank you," he said, "For being the kind of friends we could only dream of having and the siblings we could share, not our blood, but our entire childhood with." Kristine gently patted him and took the mic.