17 - I haven't played Uno in like forever

The rain had slowed down a fair bit by the time they got home. Charlie had already texted Sarah and told her that he'd found Nick and that they were on their way home.

By the time they reached Nick's house, the door swung open. It was Sarah, who immediately wrapped Nick into a big Nelson-hug. It was a bittersweet moment. Charlie could see the worry on Sarah's face.

"Oh, Nicky." She whispered.

-

Sarah and Charlie sat in the kitchen while Nick was upstairs getting changed into some dry clothes. It was quiet. The only noise coming from the kettle that was boiling water. Both Sarah and Charlie didn't really know what to say, nor did they feel the need to say something.

"Would you like some tea, love?" Sarah asked once the kettle was done boiling. She got up and walked towards the cupboard to get some mugs.

"Yeah, that would be great."

Whilst Sarah made herself and the boys some tea Nick walked into the kitchen. He sat down next to Charlie and looked down at the table. Charlie tried to make eye contact with him but his eyes were focused on the auburn table in front of them. So instead of giving him a look of reassurance, he placed his hand on Nick's leg and squeezed it softly.

This made Nick look up at Charlie. He forced a smile, before looking down again. Nick's brown eyes looked darker than usual and his eyelids were slightly swollen. His normally shimmering eyes looked dull and empty.

"Here you go boys," Sarah said whilst putting their mugs on the table. She sat down and looked at her son, who was still staring at the table. She furrowed her brows. "Do you want to talk about it, Nicky?"

It was quiet for a while and then Nick responded, barely audible: "It's nothing."

Sarah looked at Charlie, hoping to get a bit more information out of him. But he didn't say anything. He obviously wanted to tell Sarah, but it wasn't his place to do so.

"How about we play some card games?" Charlie suggested, trying to lighten the mood and save them from this awkward situation. "I haven't played Uno in like forever."

Nick looked up at him and gave him a soft smile.

Sarah could sense that the boys might need some privacy. So before anyone else could, she stood up and walked towards the living room. "I'll get the cards."

"Thank you," Nick said once Sarah left the kitchen. "You better be thankful, I saved your ass," Charlie said jokingly.

Nick chuckled.

And there it was, that sparkle in Nick's eyes, it was back.

He took Charlie's hand in his and put his head on Charlie's shoulder. "Thank you for saving me."

Charlie really did save him. Opening up to Charlie was already hard enough and he couldn't deal with opening up to his mum now. He wanted to tell her though, he just couldn't do it now.