27 - I don't believe him, if that helps

Friday

Tara [19:08]: Hey Charlie, I just wanted to check if you're alright 💕

Charlie [19:11]: hi 💛
Charlie [19:11]: yeah, I'm fine, don't worry 😁

Tara [19:11]: Are you sure?

Charlie [19:13]: yeah, I'm just a bit confused about everything, that's all

Tara knew that that wasn't the case. There was always more going on than what Charlie admitted to, especially in situations like this.

Tara [19:15]: Can I ask you something?
Tara [19:15]: Do you believe what Tao said last weekend? About Nick?
Read by Charlie

Tara [19:20]: Charlie?

There was no response. Charlie didn't know how to answer that question. It got way too close and then his mind shut down.

Tara [19:23]: Okay, I'm gonna call you

Tara gave him a minute to respond and then called Charlie, who, to her surprise, picked up almost immediately.

"Hi," she said, her voice warm and kind. It stayed quiet at the other end of the line. She could hear Charlie trying to regulate his breath. 

"I don't believe him, if that helps." 

There was a pause. "Charlie, Nick's so in love with you. He would never, ever use you as a way of filling time or something like that. He's just having a really hard time adjusting to all these new things. He would never meant to hurt you or make you feel like he didn't want to be with you anymore. I think that he just tried to reconnect."

Tara heard loud sobs coming from the other end of the line. "Oh sweetheart, I got you," she whispered.

The sobbing continued for a few minutes but slowly got less intense. 

"I have an idea," Tara started. "What if you come back to Kent over the weekend? We could hang out and make a fun weekend out of it!"

"That sounds nice," Charlie responded, his voice unsteady.

"Good, I'll pick you up from the station! Will you text me when you arrive?"

"Yeah. I'll text you tomorrow."