𝖿᥆r𝗍ᥡ-ᥱіgһ𝗍- 𝖿ᥲᥡᥱ

The end of an era^
I can't tell which cover I like better
2

I was currently sitting in the car after Matteo dragged me out.  I'd barely gotten any sleep the night before, and I can't read all the last time I've consumed any food.

Nobody had noticed.  I think.  My mother always encouraged it, so if she noticed, she wouldn't say anything.  Nobody else had done anything suspicious, so I'd been good at hiding it so far.

I glanced out the window and saw Matteo and Ethan with an older couple.  I didn't pay much mind to it, as I just scrolled mindlessly through my phone.

Countless prettier girls popped up on my screen.  I'd always been slightly aware that I was one of those girls.  The 'it girls' I believe they're called. 

I never asked to be that person.  I don't even know why I an that person.  I never saw the appeal in my body.  My fat sticks out and the begs under my eyes were surly prominent.

However, that is the magic of editing.  With one swipe of a brush, all of your insecurities can be eliminated.  The 'it girls' of social media had all used it.  Everyone at least once.  Whether they had a breakout, or they thought their teeth looked yellow, or if they simply didn't like the way the sun hit their face.  They all change and morph themselves to appeal to others rather then show the truth.

I wish I could show the truth behind it all, show the effects behind social media, but it would never be allowed.  I would always be repressed, unable to speak my truth, unable to show the world the life they're truly fantasizing.

When people see me and wish they were me, what they're seeing is exhaustion, hunger, demotivation, depression, anxiety, lost hope, the list goes on.  They think they see the life they want, but it's no better than their own.  All they want is the attention.

The likes.

They blind themselves with all of the praise that they don't think to silence out the hate and negativity.  They don't see the death threats or the stalking or people watching your every movement.

They all want to be popular.

Until they are.

Then they're exposed to the truth of the matter.

That it's all fake.

Every.

Last.

Bit.

A tap on my arm took me out of my thoughts.  I jerked away until I saw Ethan staring back at me.

"We gotta go.  It's about to start."  I nodded and followed him out of the car and to the building.

The world suddenly got dizzy for a split second.  I stumbled to the right, but Ethan caught me before I could fall.

"Easy," he sighed, "is everything okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded, not sure if I was convincing him or me.  Probably neither, "Yeah, I'm fine.  I just need to sit down."

Ethan nodded, but didn't let go of me until we were inside and sitting in our seats. 

As the service dragged on, I noticed Ethan's not-so-subtle glances at my brother.  I'd been noticing it more and more recently.  Whenever Matteo wasn't looking, Ethan's eyes would be on him.

I'd been ignoring it, trying to decipher what's been happening before getting bored of the topic seconds later.

People finally began standing up.  I followed with them.  The room began to circle again.  I tried not to stumble as much, but instead just grabbed the chair and closed my eyes, awaiting for the dizziness to pass.

"Faye," Matteo called out, seeming miles away.  I look up at him, watching the concerned look on his face, "What's wrong?"

"N-nothing.  I'm fine."

He walked away.  I knew I hadn't convinced either of us, but I just had to fake it.

I followed Matteo to his car and got in the back, waiting in my seat for us to go to the burial.  I just wanted to get home and lay down.  Even for a minute of sleep.  I just needed that much.

The pair got into the car, occupying the driver and passenger seats.  I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

Just for a minute.

********

It was about five.

I was awoken my Matteo shaking my shoulder and seemingly yelling into my ear.  I knew he was practically whispering, but everything felt so loud.

He kept asking if I was okay.  If I needed a minute.  If I wanted to go home.  I gave him all the answers he wanted although all of them being lies.  I'll just make him happy, even if that means sacrificing the minimum.  With the amount of stuff Matteo has done for me, I could never repay him

I walked with the two until we got to the getter of people. Matteo walked to the front, next to the old couple I saw him with previously.

The brunette with faint grey streaks came up to me and squished my cheeks together.

"Faye! Oh, my dear!" She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me, "You've gotten so big! I remember when you were just a little girl. You were so innocent back then, weren't you. And now, we'll you're so popular. I'm surprised you found time to spare for this. Oh wow, this must be heartbreaking for you, isn't it? We've been back for all of five minutes and she's already gone," tears collected in her eyes as she rambled on, "Oh wow, just wow. I'm really sorry, Faye. I can't imagine.

Aren't you her mother?

I dismissed the thought and just nodded, letting her take her grief out on me. I still knew she wasn't dead, it was just a matter of Tim e before everyone found out as well. Once they did, I knew it wouldn't be pretty.

More people came and then families started talking. There was so much talking for something that would be found to be all for nothing. They must be burying an empty casket or something.

I stapled to the right again after another spin. I steadied myself carefully, making sure to make sure nobody saw, but of course, Matteo did.

"What's going on?" He asked. I could tell he would pry if I didn't seem convincing enough or if I didn't give him some sort of answer.

"Nothing. I just need to sit down for a bit."

Before he could say anything, I was already moving to sit in the grass.

And then I saw something that changed everything.

I stood up from where I had been sitting in the ground. I ignored the dizziness, keeping my gaze on the object.

I locked eyes with hers.

"Brielle," I whispered. I thought nobody heard, but he did.

"What?" Matteo asked. I ignored him and walked toward the brunette. She was hiding behind a tree, only her head peaking out.

My descent was slow, as to not scare her. She looked like she was about to bolt, so I ran. I sprinted towards the tree, ignoring the nature spinning around me. My only focus was getting to her.

I heard yells of my name, presumably from Matteo and Ethan. I couldn't focus on them thought, I just needed to get her her. I need to know where she is. I need to talk to her.

"Brielle!" I yelled, bolting towards her running figure. I heard fast feet behind me, but they weren't as fast as me.

"Faye!" Matteo screeched, louder than I'd ever heard him. He sounded so scared, hopeless. I stopped running and turned around to see large groups of people sprinting after me, matteo and Ethan in the front of them.

But then, groups started to blur, and all I saw was the faint cutout of the familiar face of my brother.

My body slowly moved to the ground. I took comfort in the grass, wanting to give into the comfort of sleep. Eventually I did, letting my vision black and the yells of people tuning out.

QOTD: What was your favorite ship in this book?

Word Count: 1334