Chapter 4

Mermista greets Adora and I at the entrance to her kingdom.

She leads us inside to the dining room. Sea Hawk is already waiting for us there.

This table is huge.

Adora sits down in the chair beside me and Mermista and Sea Hawk sit across from us.

"How's it going at Brightmoon?"

Mermista asks, looking at Adora then me.

"It's going well! We've hired some people to build a garage for Mara's ship, so part of the castle has been under construction."

Adora tells her, and I nod. I actually forgot about that plan.

Huntara has made no progress at all with building the garage. Maybe she lied about her qualifications. I wouldn't put it past her.

"Cool. Nothing new going on here."

Mermista says in her usual monotone voice. She looks so bored, no wonder she invited us over, there's nothing interesting in her kingdom either. The war was the only thing that kept everyone busy.

"Who would like to hear a shanty I just came up with right now?"

Sea Hawk says, looking around at everyone. He opens his mouth again. He better not start singing.

"No shanties!"

Mermista shouts, glaring at him. He immediately closes his mouth and frowns.

"I have to go to the restroom, be right back."

Adora dismisses herself from the table.

Wow, that was abrupt. I feel like she's avoiding me. She's barely been around me ever since our kiss. Does she have some kind of a secret? I think I'm gonna go insane if I don't get any answers.

"Hey Mermista, does Adora seem, uh, I don't know, strange lately?"

I ask her, hoping that maybe she knows something I don't.

"Yeah, I don't know. I mean, she's Adora."

Mermista's really got a point there.

"But, a few nights ago I thought I saw her lurking around in my Dad's old office room."

What? I really hope Mermista isn't just making this up. I am so confused. What would Adora even be doing there?

"What? Are you sure?"

I ask Mermista, my voice is lowered and I ask quickly since Adora could come back at any second.

"I'm not sure. It was like 2AM, I thought I was dreaming. And I only really saw her out of the corner of my eyes."

If what Mermista is saying is true, I really have to confront Adora about this.

You know what? Why don't I just confront her right now?