Chapter 7

I really don't want to believe any of what they are saying. Well, except for the ring part.

I keep my grip on the pistol steady and my tail is thrashing around.

My ears turn backwards as I hear footsteps approaching. Mermista, Sea Hawk, and a limping guard are standing outside the office now.

I go to lock the door, I don't need their help. I will interrogate this lying imposter myself!

They all watch me through the tiny office window, their expressions confused and scared.

I turn back around to look at Double Trouble. I am running out of patience for them.

"Where is Adora now? Do you still have her locked up somewhere?!"

Saying it out loud somehow makes me feel even angrier. I don't know what I would even do if I found out they hurt Adora.

They start laughing again. Who laughs when they have a gun pointed at them?! Are they crazy?!

"Oh, kitten! There was a slight change of plans. It turns out, you're a real good kisser."

I think I might actually throw up. I kissed this ugly, lying, slimy, lizard! I'm literally going to k-

"So, I thought, why does the real Adora have to come back anyways? I realized that I liked being her a lot better than any other identity I've stolen. Oh! And also, it's a lot easier to rob as Adora. I never would've guessed! And as to your question, well, let's just say you're gonna wish she was just locked up somewhere."

I can feel every part of my fur spiking up with rage. After years of suffering I finally got my happily ever after. And now they took that away from me!

"If you hurt her-"

I begin but get cut off from Double Trouble.

"Hurt her? Darling, I killed her."

I think my entire world just ended.

I'm shaking now and I don't think I've ever felt this bad in my entire life. How can one sentence, one word, be more painful than years of war.

For just a second I was convinced that time had completely stopped.

But, I was reminded by Double Trouble's sideways blink that things around me never really stopped at all.

That's gonna be the last time they ever blink.

I pull the trigger.

As soon as I do, everything feels like it's going in slow motion. I can see the bullet flying through the air.

Then, time speeds up again. Everything all happened so slow and then so fast. None of this even feels real.

I look down at the floor to see Double trouble's lifeless body in a pool of blood.

Bitch.

I tuck the pistol away, this is mine now.

I turn around and see Mermista and Sea Hawk's horrified faces in the tiny office window.

I unlock the door and step outside the office. Sea Hawk and Mermista don't say a single word. Who knows if they'll ever speak to me again after what I've done.

The guard is laying on the ground, he must still be in pain from being tied up. At least he didn't have to witness what I had just done.

But this is just the beginning.

I have all that money in the drawer back at Bright Moon and this pistol now.

I have lost it all, officially. Adora was all I ever wanted. But, now I have nothing left to lose.

I think it's about time I get revenge on everybody who's ever wronged me.