Chapter 6

Mermista and I exchange glances, both of us are too stunned to say anything. Even Sea Hawk's jaw is on the floor.

"Well, I wasn't planning on revealing myself just yet. But you caught me!"

Double Trouble says it so playfully.

Why is everything a game to them? I can feel my tail spiking up with anger.

"Are you...robbing me?"

Mermista asks, completely dumbfounded. She looks more scared and confused than annoyed, which is rare for her.

"What does it look like darling?"

Double Trouble says mockingly, holding up the money in their hands to show it off.

"GUARDS! GUARDS!"

Sea Hawk yells out frantically. He's shaking and sweating. I haven't seen him like this before.

"Oh, no one is coming! I took care of that earlier."

Double Trouble grins from ear to ear.

Took care of that? What is that even supposed to mean?

"What did you do to my guards?"

Mermista demands through gritted teeth. She glares at Double Trouble while clenching her fists.

I don't know why she doesn't just punch them already.

This bratty, lying, deceitful lizard needs to get out of my sight or I'm gonna lose it. I extend my sharp claws out.

"Don't worry darling, they're just tied up. What's about to happen to you all is gonna be much worse." Double Trouble said ominously.

They reach behind them and pull out a pistol.

I can feel my tail getting even more spiky. My heart is beating faster than Mara's ship could ever fly.

Without hesitating I spring forward, leaping onto Double Trouble and knocking them to the ground.

The pistol flies out of their hand and slides across the floor.

I dig my claws into their shoulders as I keep them pinned to the ground. I can hear Mermista and Sea Hawk running down the hall to find and untie the guards.

"Where is Adora?"

I ask Double Trouble, who's clearly in pain from my claws. They are struggling to push me off of them but I hold on even tighter, drawing blood.

"She ran away!"

They cry out, wincing in pain.

"Stop lying!"

I demand angrily. There is no way Adora would just leave me again. Not after everything that happened.

"How long have you been pretending to be her?"

I growl, my arms are getting shaky from keeping Double Trouble down. I'm starting to feel so weak.

Double Trouble finally manages to push me off of them. I almost fall backwards but I catch myself.

I see the pistol on the ground and leap towards it. I grab it quickly and I close the office door behind me with my foot, trapping us both in the room.

I point the gun at them. I'm glad that dumb smile is wiped off their face, maybe they are ready to take me seriously now.

They raise their arms up in surrender. They look terrified. I keep the gun pointed at them.

"How long?" I repeat firmly.

They gulp, looking directly at the pistol.

"Okay, fine. Here's the full story."
They pause for a second then continue.

"After She-Ra defeated Horde Prime I overheard that the 'best friend squad' was gonna go on a road trip to restore magic to the universe. If the magic is restored and everything is perfect, then, I'm out of a job. Who needs the abilities of a shapeshifter if there's no war or work to be done. And of course, no job means no money."

I keep holding the pistol firmly, my tail flicks around dreading the rest of the story.

"I knew I had to put a stop to it so, I came up with a plan. There's no way you guys would've gone anywhere without Adora. So, I kidnapped her when she went back alone to get something she forgot from Bright Moon. The thing she forgot was a wedding ring by the way, it was real sparkly."

Wait, what?!

Double Trouble rolls their eyes and continues on with their story.

"Anyways, I kept her locked up for a bit, while I met back up with everyone, acting as her. She didn't actually have a cold, that was just me making up an excuse so that you guys wouldn't go on your little mission."