Chapter XVI: The Ring

"So you went for a swim in the dead of winter for what?? A ring?!" Terry questioned as Blair and him sat in the Gryffindor Common room with Fred and George Weasley, after being dragged there in the first place to warm up by the fire

Blair twisted the ring in her hand, examining the detail of it.

"Well, when you put it like that.....yeah." She muttered. Her eyes glancing up at Terry who seemed to be staring at the ring as well.

"So? What's so special about it? Think it's cursed?" He questioned as George drapped a maroon knitted blanket over Blair's shoulders. A chill deep in her bone from her late night swim.

"If it were, wouldn't it had affected me the moment I touched it?" Blair questioned back. Her eyes sliding back to the ring as Fred reached out and took it.

"We could reach out to Bill, our brother. He's a curse breaker-"

"He would know what to do." George finished with a nod of the head. Blair shook her head, taking the ring back from Fred.

"I don't think it's cursed- but there is something about it." She moved it between her fingers before going to slide it onto her finger, only to be stopped by Terry.

"Blair bear, be smart about this. A freaking shadow thing led you to it- would it be a good idea to put the thing on without testing it?" Blair stared at her friend before sighing and placing the ring down on her skirt, since she was still in her dress.

"I guess I could go to mum about it at least-"

"Or Dumbledore could help you. He is in the Order of Merlin. He might be helpful." Fred recited as if he was reading a chocolate frog card. George chortled before nodding.

"I agree. How do you know you can trust these shadowy things?" Blair sighed, meeting George's hazel eyes that held the smallest ember of mischief.

"Okay. I'll wait."

Blair waited a total of two hours

Blair waited a total of two hours. On the dot. The moment she was alone, she kept staring at the ring. She couldn't detect a single problem with it except for the smallest dent in the metal. So without even the slightest hesitation, she slid it over her middle finger.