four

After the next TAC meeting, I propose the idea to Abena, certain that she would be fully on-board and ready to accept.

"Hell, no." Abena asserts, poking open a juice box with its straw.

I'm genuinely taken aback, "But, why not? You said you're struggling to book modeling jobs. With this one job you're booked for a whole year. You get to travel and do campaigns all around the world!"

But the more I explain, the more she shakes her head, "Infinity, I can't. I have a kid. And yeah, it can be difficult to book when you're freelance, but it lets me have my own schedule so I can work around playdates and PTA meetings. I can't be traveling around all year, unless there's room in the budget for a live-in nanny."

"Hey, if I pitch it right I might actually be able to swing that."

She sighed continuing to shake her head, "I wish I could help but I have to say no to this one. I'm really flattered by the opportunity though, and I understand how huge of a deal it is for your career."

"That's the thing..." my heart suddenly feels heavy in my chest, "I kind of already told everyone that you'd do it."

Her eyes widened, "What? Infinity are you crazy? Why in the hell would you do that?"

"I'm sorry! Your name just popped up in the meeting and everyone fell in love with the idea of having you represent us."

"Well, make them un-fall in love with it, because I'm not doing it. You can't just be out here signing people up for shit without their knowledge and be surprised when they say no."

"I know, I know. But, hear me out-"

"No! For fuck's sake, no!" she whisper-yelled, I felt like shrinking in the shade of her height, "How many goddamn times do I have to say it? Why are you marketing people always so damn pushy?"

"You're right. I'm sorry. I'll fix it-" the heavy feeling in my heart drops down sharply to my stomach like a dull blade and starts twisting itself through my lower body.

Fuck, that hurts. Jesus, what's going on with me?

"And anyhow, just because I said it was difficult to book doesn't mean you need to start volunteering me for jobs. You're not my agent, I didn't ask you to start signing me up for shit."

An unbearable stabbing pain starts to radiate throughout my hips and I know at that moment that something's off.

I dash towards the exit as fast as I can manage to speed-walk and go straight to the bathroom but someone is already in there.

The intensity of the pain twists itself deeper and it brings me to my knees. I clutch my stomach and Abena and Safiya come hustling after me.

"Infinity?" Safiya calls as she shuffles down the hallway.

"Why are you— what's going on?" Abena's voice wavers with fear.

My stomach churns and I feel my throat grow clammy with the intention of vomit.

"It hurts so bad." I groan.

"Sit up for us, mama. Come on." Safiya coos, straightening me up against the wall, "What're you feeling? Can you describe the pain?"

I feel so nauseous that it's even difficult to collect my thoughts.

"Who the fuck is in here?" Abena asks, yanking the bathroom's doorknob, "Hello? Can you please hurry up in there, we have an emergency." she knocks, her voice riddled with panic.

"Something's not right." I croak.
Abena and Safiya exchange a worrying glance.

"Seriously, who is in there?" Safiya starts banging on the door, "Come out quickly, please! This is serious."