ten

I clutch my coat closed, bracing against the rushing, cold wind as I open the door to Asai, the coffee shop down the street from HAUTE

I clutch my coat closed, bracing against the rushing, cold wind as I open the door to Asai, the coffee shop down the street from HAUTE. The weather here is so temperamental. In Miami it was either hot, really hot, or really hot and humid but at least it was somewhat consistent.

I shudder as I waddle inside, my teeth chattering against each other. The bell above the door jingling softly as I push it open.

"Good morning!" A man with lush, raven hair peeked his head out of the kitchen. "Oh, it's you. Trinity, is it?" there's a certain timbre to his voice like he's pleased to see me specifically standing there and not anyone else.

Or maybe I'm just delulu.

"Hey, yes, that's right." I say, my teeth chattering a little against each other.

His eyebrows crinkle with pity, "It's so cold out this morning, you must be freezing. Should I get your usual started for you?" He asks, keeping eye contact with me as he puts an apron over his head.

"Yeah, thank you." I say, trying my best not to smile too wide. Ooh, my usual. I'm officially a regular.

"One oat milk chai latte then." he smiles brightly.

He then turns around, cinching the black apron around his torso as he got to making my order.

I watched him as he whisked cream in a metal bowl, the lines of the muscles of his back pressing through his shirt.

Damn. Coffee boy is kinda built, okay.

He slowly poured cream into my cup, the milk's foam swirling a design into the chestnut-colored coffee that was just a few shades away from the deep and alluring color of his skin.

He is a different kind of fine.

He places the mug on a saucer and pushes it towards me, "Enjoy."

I admire the artfully poured cup, "You really outdid yourself today."

He chuckles, "Well, thank you. I do try."

As I go to fish my wallet out of my purse he mutters, "Shit." under his breath.

"Something wrong?"

"No, sweetheart." Lord. "I just accidentally set the register to reboot and I can't make any transactions or do anything until it's finished. God, I hate this stupid new system."

"Oh, uh, so that means I can't pay with card. I don't think I have enough cash on me honestly. Could I Venmo you?"

He laughs, "Don't worry about it, it's on the house." 

"Are you sure? It would take like two seconds."

He chuckles, "A cup of coffee won't put me out of business. It's fine, sweetheart. Really." 

Wow. I'm down bad.

 His doey, earthy brown eyes exude a warm benevolence but the tone of his voice and his accent made me feel tingly, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"