eleven

A few days later Safiya, Abena and I are hanging out at Safiya's after our TAC meeting. Abena and I are sipping on peach flavored wine and Safiya, apple juice in a wine glass so she doesn't feel left out. 

"You're going to Mykonos?" Safiya gushed, "I've always wanted to go there, I'm so jealous."

Abena lets her head lay on Safiya's shoulder, "I would love for you to come but you don't wanna be dragged all around the world while being heavily pregnant, trust me. I remember when I was pregnant with Osei and was working a job where I had to take the stairs everyday and that was hell on earth."

"I don't know how you did it. I don't even do stairs when I'm not pregnant."

"Being young, dumb and broke is a deadly combination already, imagine adding pregnancy hormones and your disappointed immigrant mom breathing down your neck onto it."

"I felt that to my core." I add in.

Safiya nodded, "Say it again, girl." she looked at me, "What's your family like? You never talk about them."

Yeah, there's a good reason for that.

"Oh, yeah... guess it never really came up. I don't really talk with my mom much but, my dad's a pastor... or was anyway. He's retired now, although if you were to ask him he'd say he's on a "saintly sabbatical" because you can never retire from the church."

Safiya laughs, "He sounds like a character."

I sigh deeply, "Yeah... he's interesting."

Abena chimes in, "And, do you have any siblings?"

I hate this question because of how people react to the answer.

"No, I'm an only child."

"Really? Your parents just wanted one and were done?"

There it is.

"Well, my mom did try quite a few times and... wasn't successful."

The room falls silent and the pair suddenly becomes extremely thirsty as their glasses stay connected to their lips to fill the space where words should be.

Now for the damage control.

"But, it's fine! I liked being an only child."

Abena looks up at Safiya, "Did Infinity tell you about her barista bae?"

Safiya exchanges an excited look between Abena and I, completely snapping herself out of the previous conversation, "Barista bae?"

Thank you, Abena for the smooth subject change.

"Miss Infinity here has had the fattest crush on this really cute barista at this coffee shop near HAUTE, and she finally asked him for his number the other day."