fourteen

Margie was tipsy and talkative, recounting a story between the boss and her when they were both working for another agency, "So then he goes, no I don't think you understand, Mr. Cent, and yes he really said it just like that, still makes me crack up to this day. He turns to him and goes, we closed the account, and then he looks 50 dead in the eyes and goes fuck you by the way... to 50 Cent! Right to his face."

"You said fuck you to 50?" Abena leered.

"I don't like when you tell this story, Margaret." The boss groans, burying his hand into his palms.

"I don't see why not! You were a total badass."

"Hey," Kieran whispers, leaning into me.

I smile, "Hi. Are you having fun?"

"Yeah, yeah. Totally." he breaks eye contact immediately after saying this, "I'm having a great time."

"Something the matter?"

"No, no..." his tone was falsely reassuring.

"You sure? You look like you want to tell me something."

"Nah, it's fine. Don't worry about it."

Boy...

"Just tell me. Something's obviously bothering you.

He looks me in the eyes and then lets out a slow breath, "It's just that I have to wake up early tomorrow, the cafe opens at 7am."

My eyes widen incredulously, "Are you serious?"

"It's fine though. I want to stay."

"You're joking. You can't stay. You literally have a business to run."

"Yeah, I know but... I'm having fun, your coworkers have been really kind to me, and I have the most beautiful company. What's an hour or two of lost sleep?"

"Yeah, I know and as much as I'm happy that you're enjoying yourself, you literally have a business to run. To open at 7am you'd have to wake up at what? 4 or 5 in the morning to get ready, food prep and set up and all that stuff. It's 11pm, Kieran."

His sigh withered into a weak smile as he looked at me, " Yeah. Yeah. You're right. I'm sorry, I just really wanted to spend some more time with you," and leaning in closer he whispered directly in my ear, "And I've just been thinking about kissing your lips all night long."

A patch of goosebumps shot up from my forearms. I was flattered but didn't know what to say. He had not been giving that energy all night long. We honestly hadn't had that many opportunities to talk one-on-one. I felt comfortable around him but honestly... I wasn't feeling any romantic chemistry. I just chalked it up to the fact that we were at a corporate social event but I looked around me and Janice was stumbling at the bar and Dale from Marketing had his dress shirt buttoned down to the second to last button. So, it wasn't like it was a super stuffy event.

Ugh, admit it, Infinity. It was a horrible idea bringing him here for our first hangout. I just wanted something casual with ample room to run away if things went south.

Kieran looked away and started pecking away at his phone, "I'm sorry, I'll just get a taxi or something and be out of your hair. You're probably itching to get rid of me."

"What are you talking about? I had a good time, too."

He grabs his stuff and starts heading for the door to wait for his ride and I follow after him.

I touch his arm, "Hey, did you hear what I said? I had a great time, too. I'm not trying to chase you off, I promise."

He looks at me briefly, then looks away, "You're a really sweet girl and I... I'm sorry for messing it up..."