FOURTEEN

UNHOLY

⎯UNHOLY

✣✣✣

Osferth had nearly attached himself to Alora as they had made their way back home. He had placed her before him on his horse, and it would be a 6-day ride. Norell and Feodric had been taken as prisoners, and to serve for the wrongs they had committed to Alora, Uhtred ordered them to work as servants for Alora and Osferth, something Osferth wanted to complain about.

The horse ride seemed to go by slowly, they had only been on horseback for two days now. "Could we stop?" Alora asked, looking at Uhtred and Finan as they rode ahead of everyone with Sihtric close behind. "Why?" Uhtred asked as he looked over his shoulder. Alora raised her brow. "Because I have been sitting my ass sore on this horse, and I wish to wash" she said as she looked at Uhtred, they were riding near a creek which would be perfect timing anyways to rest.

And in truth, it had been two days since she last released the pain in her breasts as she had not been feeding her son like she normally would, it was becoming quite uncomfortable. "We have all been sitting on our horses Alora" Uhtred said, like it had been her fault why they had been away from home, like she had asked to be kidnapped. Alora huffed. "Fine, if you must know, my chest hurts and I need to relieve it" she said crossing her arms with attitude towards Uhtred who scrunched his eyes close. "Fine" he finally said knowing if Alora or anyone ever told Gisela he had not listened to her he would catch hell for it—and that was a nice way of putting it.

They stopped by some trees as Alora got off the horse and hit herself behind the largest tree. Osferth was quick to come find her. "Can I help?" he asked, his voice wasn't soft like she had expected him to be, like he used to sound when they first met, his voice was hard and rough, and it almost sounded like a demand more than a question. "No, I will be fine, just give me a moment" she said as she tried to give herself privacy, it wasn't anything Osferth hadn't seen before but she simply wanted a moment away after two days tied to each other on horseback.

Osferth took it slightly to heart as he walked back to his horse, making sure the horse was comfortable when he heard a sarcastic laugh come from Norell. A part of Osferth hated to admit how the rugged Viking made him feel, even though he knew his thoughts were not uncommon, he heard many Viking men laid with other men, like Alora had laid with women before, but he had always assumed he'd only ever love Alora, and he didn't want to hurt her, not when it seemed like she had grown slightly close to the brute and she had even sent him away from her aid.

"What's so funny?" Osferth asked, once again with attitude in his voice as he looked at Norell. "Nothing" Norell said holding his hands up which were tied with ropes as he leaned against a tree. "You are back a lot sooner than I thought you'd be" he said. "What do you mean?" Osferth asked walking closer as Feodric had told Norell to stop but he didn't listen. "Is she even satisfied? Or is she finishing herself off behind the tree now?" Norell asked and anger bubbled in his chest.