𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒘𝒐

« ⌑⌑⌑ »

𝐈𝐭 doesn't matter how hard she tries. He's the only thing on her mind weeks later and there's no sign he's ever going to disappear. Whenever the hours drag out or her boss's presentations and statistic reports get too dull, she can taste his blood on her tongue again. Every hour of the day, he lingers in the back of her mind, words itching at her brain and clawing to get out. You won't catch me.

She's going to prove him wrong, she'll catch him and shove it in his stupid face how good she already is. She doesn't need some teacher to come and show her the ropes, it isn't mere potential lingering in her, she's already got it. Had it for years.

But it doesn't help when people start telling her it's too much. No one should focus so much on one case, especially not one that's run cold. One that the people who hired them no longer want them to pursue. There are plenty of cameras in both the hallways of the hotel and the restaurant, but somehow, none of them caught a glimpse of him. The one she thought might have gotten a flash of his black hair led to nothing. Words like obsessed become more common when she tries to talk about him. It. About the case.

When the first sign of activity comes, she's on it immediately. Before anyone has the time to stop her or tell her she shouldn't rush into it. She doesn't need to hear what they're going to tell her because they don't get it. He lingers too much and too long. It's more than just any case, and she won't be able to forget about it like they're telling her to.

Her car shoots down the street to where one of her coworker's informants spotted him. Of course, it's an expensive area, something he shouldn't be able to afford. Something she can't afford. Pushing the thought away, her car comes to a halt against the curb. She doesn't exit immediately, scoping out the place first instead. Max shouldn't be able to recognise her with her hooded sweatshirt and oversized jacket. It's nothing like what she wore the last time.

With a heavy breath, she opens the door and gets out, trying to act as casually as possible while crossing the street. On its own, the car stands out plenty and she realises how dumb it was to not wear something more expensive. The doorman opens up for her and she smiles, still with her hands stuffed into the front pocket of her hoodie. He's already keeping an eye on her as she wanders up to the man sitting behind the counter.

"Hey, I'm looking for a-"

"Sorry, I can't help you," he replies and grimaces.

Leaning over the counter, she grumbles, "look, mister, I'm on duty here and I need-"

He looks up at her again, and she suddenly realises how large the bags beneath her eyes must be. Sleep hasn't been easy to find lately and this whole ordeal is to thank for that. All she has to do is find him, get to him, and show him exactly how good she is. She's going to catch him.

"You know how many cops I got coming in here every day?" The man huffs and gestures to the exit. "Get outta here."

"Okay," she chuckles, trying to hide how utterly offended she is. "I'm trying to be nice-"

He interrupts her again. "Look, lady, we don't want no junkies around here. I'm not gonna let you into the building."

"I'm not a junkie!"

He gestures to the doorman. A man too large for her to take down.

"Hey, look, I've got a badge! Just let me-"

The doorman grips her arms and pins them behind her back, forcing her up against the counter that digs into her stomach.

"Come on!" She barks, desperately trying to reach into her pocket to show them she isn't some junkie who's come here to break into the apartments. Well, not any apartment, but if Max isn't home then she has to get in somehow, hence the lock pick kit also in her pocket. Of course, it looks bad when the doorman pulls it out, and he doesn't feel around for the badge. But this had to be quiet and she was desperate. It's been months already and if she misses this more time might pass before she can get a chance at him.