𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

« ⌑⌑⌑ »

𝐒𝐡𝐞 likes flying. Her parents have always been of the belief driving everywhere is easier. It means not being around other people or being squeezed in against strangers — and she could see the advantages of that. They certainly exist. But Max got them first-class tickets to London, one straight flight and she loves every second of it. Especially landing and take-off, being able to see the ground slowly come closer or fade into nothing but tiny little dots until she's enveloped in a sea of clouds.

She doesn't let her excitement show, at least not all of it and there's quite a large amount of it. It's easier not to. Doesn't want him to think she's being weird. They arrive at the hotel shortly after landing but there's no time to unpack. Max tells her they need to get ready immediately, that they don't have much time to spare and he throws a garment bag with a dress onto the table next to her. It's rather cold but he sends her a smile and then she's taking off her clothes to get into the dress.

Not even two hours after landing, their car stops outside of the venue and she's stepping out onto a red carpet — not the kind she's seen in movies. It's just to ease the way inside. A few reporters snap one or two pictures but they're clearly there to report on the charity event supposed to help raise money for Venezuelan wildlife, specifically the butterflies. Who could've thought creatures that small would warrant an entire charity event in London?

Max squeezes her hand and she glances at him with a smile, allowing him to lead the way up the stairs and into the grand hall. It's filled with people, hundreds undoubtedly, and she's still unsure what exactly they're going to do here. Stealing directly from the people here would be too obvious, everyone is checked by invite and she doubts any of the cheques meant for the charity will work for them.

"What do you want me to do?" She whispers, wrapping both arms around one of his to make it look less conspicuous.

"Just look pretty for now," he chuckles. "You're good at that."

It irks her, she can't lie about that to herself but she doesn't let it show. Being on a place for so long with that kind of excitement means she barely slept and it hasn't made her mood any better. It's better to hide how she feels and she continues smiling to the people around who send them wary looks. They're taking a round in the room and she notices how his eyes shoot around the place, slowly drifting at times to make sure no one realises what he's doing. But she does. He's scoping the place out.

They pass glass cases filled with taxidermy butterflies and other insects, namely the ones that either work against or with the butterflies in nature. She adores their colourful wings but it pains her how they had to be killed for their beauty to be appreciated in a place such as this. Two men are busy discussing one particular species and whether they belong in the group of butterflies or with the moths. She's not interested enough to listen to any more of their conversation.

"See that man?" Max asks, smiling down at her and she eagerly nods, following his line of sight. He's young, about her age and wearing a well-fitted light blue suit, sleek jewellery hanging from his body.

"Is he the one?"

"One of them," he replies and she nods again.

"What do I have to do?"

"You used to pickpocket when you were younger, right?" He says and licks his lips.

This time, her nod is more hesitant but it's there nonetheless.

"He has a key card."

She waits, hoping he might give her more but nothing else comes out of his plush lips and she admits defeat with an obedient nod. "Where?"