𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

« ⌑⌑⌑ »

𝐑𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐫, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square. She notes all the names in her mind as they pass them. Max is relaxed, better since they got here in time for whatever he has planned. One of his wrists rests on the steering wheel while the other loosely clutches the gearshift. Trying not to steal glances of him is hard, his straight nose leading to his plush lips daring her with every turn of his head to lean and kiss him.

It's stupid and she's sure he doesn't feel the same attraction to her. Honestly, she's still unsure that he isn't doing all of this to play her and get her off his back. Will she ever be able to trust him? Or he her. Her eyes scan across the buildings of the next area, the University of Chicago. Buildings sprout from the ground around and it's hard to differentiate between what's part of the campus and what is meant to be lived in, all of it screams austere academics with money to raise statues of their favourite authors.

"What are we doing here?" She asks, eyes locked on the theatre they pass. It's beautiful, classic with the large golden lights and the crimson background forcing every letter belonging to the city-name to pop.

"You're not doing anything," he speaks monotonously.

"Right," she mumbles, smiling to herself as she got a reply from him.

The car slows down, almost inaudible as the engine turns off and she grabs her purse from the console in the middle. It gives her a chance to look at him again, his tailored suit. Fully black, styled perfectly to be his fit and only just revealing the large but fake watch on his wrist. Max looks sly and polished all at once. She's put on a patterned skirt and tight shirt although both are hidden by the coat he wanted her to wear.

The wind catches her hair as she gets out, blowing it around her face as she shuts the door behind her and he ambles to her side, smoothly taking her hand and interlacing their fingers as if they've done it a thousand times before. Her reaction stays hidden as she allows him to pull her down the street. It doesn't take long before she realises where they are, the kind of area they're in. The stores are large and spacious, glass displays only putting out the newest designed items and no price tags screaming of sales are flashed around. The people who come here don't need that, a sale isn't something they've ever had to care about.

"Still the same parts?" She asks.

He glances back with a smile. "You got it, sweetheart."

She grins, having to catch herself before she falls into the well of believing he's being real. It's too easy to slip, but when he looks at her in such a warm way, the ice starts crackling and creaking, slowly thawing and breaking the longer she dares to stand on it. It ticks down like a clock. Suddenly, he's pushing her up against a wall, laughing as he grabs onto her waist and dips his hand into her coat pocket. He's leaning closer. While her heart thumps in her chest, she ignores it and wraps her arms around his neck, smiling sweetly right back at him. His nose skims along the side of her neck, causing goosebumps to crash over her and her body to flush as she feels his warm breath on her sensitive skin.

"Rings in your pocket, put them on, pretty side downwards," he says and kisses her cheek on his way back. "Understand?"

She stares at him with wide eyes, gulping as she reminds herself to nod. She wasn't supposed to do anything. Is he pushing her out onto the deep end, just like that? Without a warning. But she did insist she was better and that she can do this. She's fine. If that's how he wants to play this, she's okay with it. Her reaction to him is easy to playoff as her role and she nods eagerly.

His gaze flicks to her lips. Max surprises her as he pushes forward and kisses her. She reacts as she should although the contrast within her is quite different. It's stupid. So dumb. She shouldn't like it as much as she does but he kisses her like he means it. His hand slips to cup her face, sliding back and tangling in her loose hair, pulling her closer while pressing his body against hers. He's warm, soft, fingers deft and strong. She realises where they are, in the middle of the street, and a blush rises on her cheeks. A giggle slips from her lips, forcing him to pull away and finally allowing her to breathe. She licks her lips and grins up at him with a teasing expression.