Flickering Light

Mitch found me beneath the porch light after he came home after a party. He immediately rushed to my side. "Scott, babe, what's wrong?"

I sniffled. "A-Alex. H-he b-broke up with me." I blundered. I sounded so pathetic.

"Scott..." Mitch says, wrapping me in a tight, long hug. "It's okay. I know it hurts, but I'm here. Shhh," He soothes, rubbing my back.

I cry into his shoulder. I grab a fistful of his shirt, the pain refreshing itself.

Mitch and I sat there for what felt like hours before I finally calmed down.

Mitch gives me a sad smile. I return it and we go back to the apartment.

I'm sure Mitch had a thousand questions, but he kept his mouth shut. He knew I wasn't in the most stable emotional state, and that if he asked me why he broke up with me and stuff like that, it would not improve my emotional health.

"Lie down, Scotty," Mitch commands. "I'll make you some hot chocolate. Close your eyes for a bit, okay?"

I nodded and lied down on the leather couch, my face resting against the soft, downy pillow. I closed my eyes and let the quiet of the apartment and the comfy sofa give me peace.

I heard the microwave go off, and the metal spoon clinking against the mug.

I open my eyes and see Mitch taking a bag of mini marshmallows and dumping it all into my hot chocolate.

He walks over to me. I sit up and take the mug.

"Careful, it's hot." Mitch warns.

I nodded and took a small sip, the soothing warm filling my belly. I sighed. "Thanks, Mitchy."

Mitch nods. "Any time, Scotty!"

His phone goes off. "It's Kirstie." He tells me.

"Go ahead." I replied.

Mitch jogs to his room, but I could still hear his voice faintly.

"Hey, Kirst. I'm with Scott. He and Alex broke up last night and he's not taking it very well."

I heard silence, probably because Kirstie was speaking on the other side of the line.

"I found him early this morning bawling like a baby. Right now? He's on the couch. I made him some hot chocolate." Silence again. "No, I don't know where Alex is. Kirst--" Mitch sighs. "I'm sure there was a good reason for Alex to break up with Scott, but that doesn't mean you can just kick Alex's butt."

I chuckled.

"Scott's listening." Mitch tells Kirstie over the phone. "Kirstie wants me to tell you that she's ready to give Alex a piece of her mind and she will do it once she has your permission!" Mitch yells.

"Kirstie, I love you, but please don't do that!" I yelled back.

"He says he loves you but don't do that." Mitch reports. "Now, Kirstie--" Mitch stifles a laugh. "There's no need for that kind of language!" He continues, laughing.

I smiled a little. I could imagine Kirstie screaming obscenities into her phone.

"I don't know, Kirstie. I think he's still kind of in shock." Silence. "He's like... a flickering light. He seems okay, but the next second he won't be. Only time can tell, Kirstie. All right. Love you, too. Bye."

Mitch walks back into the living room, but I don't notice.

He called me a flickering light. And I guess I am. Just when I think I'm getting better, I get worse.

How long do I have before I finally go out?