I Don't Think Life is Quite that Simple

I got up at 7:30 on the morning of June 12th.

I hadn't told Mitch about my plans, but he probably won't wake up until noon so I should be okay. I don't plan on staying long. I just need to see Alex.

I got directions to the venue holding the art show and began the drive.

Despite it being 8:00 in the morning, the traffic was still maddening.

I got there just as it opened up at 9:30.

I scanned the area, looking for that dumb, 6-foot tall blond.

I finally spotted him in the far corner of the room, and people were swarming towards him.

I swore and decided to wait my turn.

But then I saw him turn to a tall, dark, and handsome man and grin, pecking him on the lips as he sold another piece.

He's... already found someone else?

I felt this weird mix of anger, grief, and... happiness.

I was angry at the fact he was completely over it.

I was sad that he had a new boyfriend. But I was also happy that he seemed happy.

I shook my head and soon got close enough to see some of his artwork.

The one I saw first struck a chord.

It was me under the porch light.

If I wasn't so offended, I would be astonished by the detail.

He even painted in the fireflies, my teardrops falling to the ground, catching the light from the lightbulb.

I grit my teeth and began to push my way to the front.

Alex's eyes widened when he saw me. "Scott?"

"Where the crap have you been, Alex?" I asked, my voice surprisingly calm.

"M-my studio. Obviously." Alex stammered.

"And Pretty Boy here just walked in and you two hit it off?" I retorted, pointing to his new boyfriend.

Alex glanced at the man, then to me. "Scott, I can explain."

"And you're making a profit on a depiction of my pain and heartbreak?"

Alex sighed. "Scott..."

"Nice to know you care, Alex. I hope you're happy." I spat.

"Scott, please." Alex called after me.

Now he knows how it feels to watch someone he loves walk away.

~

As I was driving home, tears prickled my eyelashes.

I refused to let them fall while I was in the streets of LA.

But when I was stopped in a jam, I burst into tears, resting my head against the steering wheel as sobs racked my body.

He painted me as he saw me that night, breaking slowly, my tears shining in the light of the lightbulb above me. He even gave me the fireflies that offered company and a one-way conversation.

How could he? How could he?

I heard horns honking and knew I needed to keep driving.

~

I got home around 10:30.

Mitch was awake.

"How was the art show?" He asks as he nursed a cup of tea.

"How did you know?"

"You're my best friend, Scott. Besides, since Alex was there, news about it spread everywhere."

Then he noticed I had been crying.

He haphazardly sets down his cup and walks up to me, reaching to wipe away stray tears. "What happened? What did he do?"

I pulled out my phone and Googled 'Los Angeles Art Show June 12 2015.'

The first thing that came up was a news article about Alex's highest grossing sale yet.

I licked my lips.

The painting of me under the porch light sold for $50,000.

I sighed and showed Mitch.

His eyes widened and he takes my phone from me. I saw his eyes darting around as he read the article. He lets out a breath. "Scott..."

"I'm fine." I lied, taking back my phone.

I saw a picture of Alex standing next to the painting, grinning like he did whenever he was around me.

I clutched my phone and raised my arm.

Mitch stepped forward to stop me, but my arm drops, letting my phone fall out of my hand.

I broke down again. I sank to my knees and began to curse Alex with everything under the sun.

Mitch doesn't say anything, he just rests his left hand on my right knee, listening to me use the fullest extent of my vocabulary.

He stays with me long after his tea went cold.

___________

A/N: This is my last update for a while. I have High Adventure tomorrow, and I won't get back until pretty late at night. Then the next morning I have summer church camp until Saturday. And after that, I will be dog tired so I won't have a lot of energy to write so hopefully this will satisfy y'all until I update again.

Love y'all and stay cute!

-Spontaneous_Soprano