That's When You Came to Me

The doorbell rang.

Mitch stood to answer it, promising he would be right back with a reassuring slight pat on my back.

I heard him walk to the door and open it, followed by a heavy sigh.

"Bug off, Alex." He hisses.

"Just let me talk to Scott--" Alex began.

"Oh yeah, he would totally love talking to you, the man who broke his heart." Mitch replies, the sarcasm and annoyance in his voice blending to create an especially sweet serving of tea.

"Mitch, please--"

"Ahhhh buh-buh-buh!" Mitch hums. "Shut. Up."

I listened as Alex begs and Mitch shoots him down.

Alex's voice sounded so urgent. Did he really have an explanation? Could we try this relationship thing again? Or will he leave me with the fireflies again? Can I find the strength to give him my heart again?

"Let him in, Mitch." I said, interrupting them.

Silence.

"Scott?"

"I said let him in."

I heard footsteps.

I looked behind me when they fell silent and saw Alex standing there, wearing one of my sweaters I let him keep after a freezing cold night in Germany while on tour.

He smiles a little. "H-hey," He stammers.

"Hey," I replied.

~

"Care to explain?" I began, standing. "Why you depicted the night part of me died slowly and painfully and you sold it for 50 grand? Why you found another man?"

Alex sighs. "You know painting is how I cope, Scott."

I nodded. "Yeah, but I was kind of offended about what you painted."

Alex nods. "I know. And you have every right to be upset. I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry."

"Now," I continued. "Tell me about Tall, Dark, and Handsome."

"His name is Joshua. He bought the first thing I painted after that night. He paid me 100 grand for it."

"So this all circles back to profits?" I concluded.

"Listen to me, Scott." Alex interrupts. "Please."

I sighed and nodded in compliance.

"I didn't want to break up with you. I said that from the beginning. Did... you want to?"

I shook my head, rubbing my eyes. "No." I sighed. "I didn't." I looked back up at him. "So what made you do it? Break up with me?"

"You and I both knew that this just wasn't working out; we just didn't know how to end it."

I nodded.

"So, I consulted a friend because I knew you couldn't do it. If I didn't do it, you and I would be caught in a stalemate, and neither of us can win the game."

"Who?"

Alex avoids my gaze, rubbing his hands together.

He rubs his hands together when he's hiding something.

"Alex, who is your 'friend?'" I repeated, raising my voice a little.

Alex licked his lips before replying, "Mitch."

__________

I'm sorry this was short!! But I wanna do something, okay?

So I wanted y'all to get to know me better so we're gonna play a little game of Two Truths and a Lie!

Whoever correctly spots the lie first will have the next chapter dedicated to them!

Here goes...

1) A fly once saved my life

2) I have four siblings

3) I once almost got arrested for delivering cookies on Christmas Eve

Put down in the comments which one you think is the lie.

And each one has a number for a reason. Comment THE NUMBER please!

Whoever guesses it correctly first will have the next chapter dedicated to them!

Happy guessing!!

-Spontaneous_Soprano