Part 1

PART 1 - don't drop that beer

                                 Alt j - left hand free

                Ain't shady, baby, im hot like the prodigal son

Scarlett jones dropped her bic pen into her pencil case with a clank. It was done. All her summer homework was finished, she was finally free! Or 'as free as a nut from a squirrel' as JJ would say. Why did he say that again? She couldn't remember at the precision moment. All she felt was the sense of freedom.

The pogues were out on their first adventure of the summer. School had broken up two days ago and John B had recently called to say he was gunna pick her up for a surprise.

Once she was dressed and ready, Scarlett headed towards the door and quickly put on her converses. 

"Bye Mum, i'm going out with the guys!" She called.

Scarlett heard shuffling. Her mother, Charlotte jones, soon popped around the corner, arms wide and waiting for a hug. Charlotte Jones was mid 40s, had greying brown hair with a slight wave and was around 5'4, a lot shorter than her teen daughter.  

Scarlett was released from her mother's hold. "Of course love, have fun and be safe." She began walking off again, "oh and less of the felonies please, keep em' to a minimum"

Scarlett simply laughed, "yeah, mum will do" and with that she left the house. 

 She walked around to the back of the house to the small field which Calypso lived in. You would think a small field right next to the ocean would scare the horse but he liked the sound of the sea. Calypso spotted his owner and trotted over, Scarlett stroked him and checked he had enough hay and water. It really is surprising how much cheaper it is to keep and horse in outer banks than it was in England.

Just as she looked back to the horse she heard the twinkies honk. JJ poked his head out the front window and yelled; "cmon Cara, we got places to break into!" Sophia laughed and ran to the Twinkie, jumping in. After hopping in and the van a taking her backpack off of her shoulder Scarlett placed herself in the back, next to JJ and opposite Pope. 

After they settled down and said their hi, how are you's, they were well on the road to the next adventure. "So where are we going today?" Kie piped up. She was sat in the back with Pope  and was previously talking about turtles and the ways we should be helping the planet.

'We only have one earth we should be giving it 101%. Bare minimum.' Were her famous words.

John be looked in the rear view mirror at Kie, "were gunna break into some house and chill"

"Can't we relax somewhere legal for once?" Scarlett asked, leaning over to get a lighter out of one of the twinkies secret compartments. Lighters were useful in the outer banks; for lighting fires with your friends on the beach, lighting bonfires in the field to get rid of all the wood on the yard or even just to look at the beauty of flame when she was bored. But mainly it was used for JJ's joints She threw the lighter to JJ, turning back around to sit comfortable. 

Pope leaned forward and put his head between the front headrests, "i agree with Scar, breaking in some house is defiantly not gunna put us in the good books."

JJ let a breath of smoke out, "it's not fun if it's not illegal, remember." He said, rolling his eyes.

As they all squalled about legal things and illegal things (again) Scarlett's thoughts wandered to those of her family. How they reached the outer banks and the situation that put them there. Before moving to the Obx at age 14, Scarlett and her mum lived an hour out of London, in the countryside. It was the polar opposite of the obx but it was home. They were all happy until Scarlett's 10th birthday. Her father was coming home from the pub late at night and got caught up in a car crash. A year coming up to the car crash, the man had turned into a viperous individual. He was no longer the dad who took her to riding lessons or picked flowers in the meadow, tended to her grazed knees or give her a kiss goodnight.