Horse Characters, Part Three: Hermes

Last but not least, is Hermes, the six-month Appaloosa colt

Last but not least, is Hermes, the six-month Appaloosa colt. He is only a weanling, so he doesn't have any particular duties in the herd. He is quite the troublemaker, though.

I am so happy with this one. The blanket markings were so much fun, and I think they turned out nicely. I colored him like a bay, then added a new layer for the white and erased holes in it.

 I colored him like a bay, then added a new layer for the white and erased holes in it

Positive Traits: Adaptable, brave, passionate, adventurous, loyal

Negative Traits: Argumentative, needy, snappy, impulsive, disruptive

Hermes is an energetic, curious colt who is full of the fire of a young life. He is playful and vigorous—but perhaps too much so. His temper and sharp mouth can get him into trouble easily, and once in, he is not one to back down. He misses his mother, and can get desperate for affection and attention. 

Hermes' mother was captured and taken captive by the two-legged, who were unaware that she was pregnant. When she gave birth, she and her foal were kept together in a field. Every night, when they stood under the stars, she reminded him of his wild blood and told him stories of the herd.

As her little son grew, Rue tried to convince him to escape and find his way back before he became a tamed horse, but he was young and afraid to leave her. She weaned him, and one day when they were turned out to pasture, she urged him under the high fence. He wriggled through on his side, tearing himself. As he stood frightened on the other side of the fence, she told him to run, to cut through the valley pass between the highest mountain peaks and he would find his way home. He pleaded for her to come, but Rue could not escape and had resigned herself to the fact that she probably would never get a chance to. 

For hours Hermes lingered, trying to find a way back to her, but in the end was forced to leave when the two-legs discovered him. He showed his speed and ran for his life, traveling all night. He found the mountain pass his mother had spoken of, and on the third day emerged from the forest and looked out over the vast, rolling plains. The watchers of the herd found him wandering, and he was warmly welcomed and integrated into the herd's life.

Rue's fate is unknown, but it is assumed that she became an enslaved horse.