4 - Sleepy

Kyle barely could get his eyes open. His alarm on his nightstand blared through his room. It's annoyance was definitely working on Kyle. He managed to slightly open his eyes. 6:32. He sighed and rolled over. Kyle didn't want to go to school today. He just wanted to sleep in now.

-~- (Kyle's POV)

My eyelids felt heavy. It was almost impossible to keep them open. Some force I never felt before kept shutting them for me. Neither did I want to get out of bed. I pulled my blue blanket over my face, groaning loudly. Finally I understood how those kids felt that slept during class.

The exhaustion was immense. I got all my energy together and literally rolled out of my bed. My body slammed down on the floor. "Fuck!" I yelled out in pain. Yet the rest of my body didn't react. I just kept laying there like the life was sucked out of me.

I thought about Stan. Did he even realize how late I had stayed up? I spoke to him all night. And this feeling was shit, I felt like I would never walk properly again. But it was worth it, so worth it.

I opened my eyes again, promising myself that I would keep them open this time. I stared up at my ceiling, having a war with my lifeless body.

"Bubby!" I heard my mom exclaim worried from the hallway. Within seconds the door flung open and there was my mother, standing in the doorway.

"Are you okay?" She crouched beside me, I gave in and shut my eyes again. I could sleep on this hard wooden floor if I needed to. I was that tired I probably wouldn't even be able to get on my bed.

"Yes." I answered my mom, seconds too late and dull. "Had a bad sleep?" My mother caressed my cheek. I squinted, looking directly at my mom. Had a bad sleep? I barely slept at all.

"Yes." My tone was still as dull. I knew my mother wouldn't exactly be pleased if she heard that I stayed up. So saying I just slept bad was an easy way to get out of this. "Okay but sweetie you have to go to school." She broke to me.

"Ughhh." I groaned. With the help of my mom I sat up. "I will make breakfast, you should splash water in your face. Now get up before you're late!" She told, standing up and leaving as quickly as she got here.

I looked around my room. I just cleaned it yesterday afternoon. So all the mess that was there before was now gone. It still felt a little surreal. I was searching my bag pack. I noticed it hiding in a corner.

I crawled to the bag and got onto my knees. All my books were in there right? I should've packed them already. I shrugged and pulled myself up using my bedframe. I had to get to school.

Following my mom's advice I immediately went to the bathroom and splashed as much water as I could in my face. Immediately it felt like a layer of exhaustion was taken from me. I felt fresher, newer and better. I inspected myself in the mirror. I tucked my curls as much as I could behind my ears, but they kept popping back.

I never really liked them, but I guess I was getting used to them. I brushed my teeth hastily and hurried to my room. I yanked a flint colored polo out of my closet and swiftly put it on.

A pair of baggy lead colored jeans and white socks finished my outfit and I ran downstairs.
The smell of eggs and toast filled my nose before I even got there.

"Good morning mom!" I said, sitting down at the table. "Good morning." She sweetly said to me, placing toast on the table. "I can never thank you enough for all this in the early morning you know?" I thanked my mom.

While eating I felt the sleepiness fade slowly back in again. "Mom, I'm gonna walk to school today, okay?" I told her. "But honey, your school is 3 and a half kilometres away. I can just bring you with my car again." (2,3 miles). "I know, I start at 8." I looked over at the clock. 7:22, I could make it. "Okay but go now." My mom finally gave in.