• 10 •

"I see you've made yourself right at home."

"Hardly, I'm playing star-chaser. It's not like I'm watching you on the surveillance camera, discussing the ins and outs of our intimate relationship with your stupid ass body guard." I lifted my eyes off the screen and settled them on him.

I think the fury I felt was pretty obvious.

"That's not fair Millie, you were listening to a private conversation and he's not just some random body guard, he's my best friend. You're telling me you didn't tell your best friend we fucked? Because I distinctly remember Tyler being in the know."

"That's different."

"Why? Because women talking is acceptable and cute but men talking is disrespectful and bragging?"

I closed my mouth because what could I say?

Tyler knew everything. He knew we fucked. He knew River got me pregnant. He knew I didn't plan on telling him, ever.

"I don't like you talking about me like that." I folded my arms across my chest moodily.

"Ditto."

"So don't!"

"I won't!"

"Good. Me neither." I answered stubbornly, he certainly had the power to bring out my childish side.

"Good." And I certainly had the power to bring out his.

He pulled off his suit jacket and threw it over an arm chair. I watched as he undid the buttons on his cuff and loosened his tie.

He opened up the vault and pulled out a lot of guns, loading his body up by strapping them onto his chest, his waist, his legs.

"What is happening?" I asked, scooting the wheels of the chair closer to him. My stomach instantly twisted into a tight knot. "Everly, did something hap-"

"She's fine, all of this is for you. Let's go."

He drove us to a lone desert, miles of golden brown earth stretching for eternity under a cyan blue sky. I took small steps, my feet shuffling across the soft dirt as I struggled to find purpose in being here.

"You ever shot a gun before?" His voice enquired from behind me. I turned, he had set his firearms out on the ground, ranging in size.

"Can't say I ever have." I muttered.

"You need to know how to protect yourself. You need to know how to protect your little girl." He handed me a small gun and my brows knotted as I looked down at it.

"It's quite heavy." I pointed it at him and he jolted backwards, raising his hands up at me in panic.

"Hey! Woah! It's loaded, careful where you point that thing." I bit into my lip to stop the huge smile from stretching out my cheeks. "I'm serious, don't be an idiot." I giggled and pointed it into the distance.

"Okay, see those glass bottles in the distance? Target and shoot them."

I narrowed my gaze on three blue bottles illuminated by the blazing sun, there was a nervousness lacing my stare but also the hint of excitement.

"I'm scared!" I droned out as my finger gathered pressure against the trigger. It took a lot of courage to actually pull it. If those bottles were a bad guy, I'd be dead. "I can't do it."

"Pull the trigger Millie." He demanded, this wasn't a choice I got to make anymore.

"I'm scared!" I repeated.

"Imagine how scared you would feel if someone had a gun pressed against Everly's head and you didn't know how to fight back. Pull the fucking trigger Millie."