• 22 •

I trailed kisses along his shoulder, cuddling into his strong body. I was relaxed, sated and perhaps a little sleepy. In all honesty, I was probably annoying him, hanging all over him when his focus was set unbreakably on the laptop screen in front of us.

I rested my head on his shoulder watching with curiosity while he typed unreadable codes into a black screen.

A sizzle of audio erupted from the speakers and after listening carefully, between him switching radio channels and the static backfiring, I somehow deciphered that he had hooked into a police radio station somewhere.

Within seconds, River had pulled up Leighton's records and put out an APB alert across all police departments in the state in order to find him.

A live list appeared on the screen, showing every known location he has used his credit card in the past forty eight hours. Another one, showing every outgoing and incoming phone call he has made during the same time frame and officers from all of over the place were now talking about the alert and that they planned to do to aid the search.

"How do you know how to do all of this?"

"Simply put, money. You pay the right people, you gain access to the wrong information. Kinda had no choice but to learn all of this stuff. My guard has been high my whole life, survival mode fully activated."

"Well, what if they track my computer?"

"They can't, I'm using a different VPN and your IP address has not only been changed but been wiped from their systems entirely. If they do manage to somehow get through the encryption, which they won't, they'll think you're Google a chocolate cake recipe somewhere in Nebraska."

My thumb traced over that little round scar on his shoulder blade, it was definitely a bullet wound. He turned to look at me slowly and arched a brow.

"This is really dangerous, isn't it?" He grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles softly.

"Hey, you don't need to worry about that. I'm going to sort it." He reassured.

"How?" I questioned, searching for any trace of doubt written on his face. "Are you going to kill him? Hendrix too?"

"Millie," he sort of inhaled my name, "don't ask me those questions."

"What if you get caught? What good are you to us if you're in jail?"

"Why do you think I'm doing this?" He gestured towards the laptop screen. "Tracking him down like this, all I have to do is listen, they're the ones doing the searching without even knowing the request has come from external measures. They'll tell me where he is, I'll get a hit put on him effective immediately. I provide the details, someone else does the dirty work."

"Who?"

"People Millie. Just people with experience who I can rely on."

"But what if-" he laughed.

"I get that this is all new to you but it's not to me. I've been dealing with this for a long time and believe it or not, we're actually safer now because I know who Leighton is. Before he could've been anyone. Believe me when I say I'll sort it."

"Okay." I still had doubts but I guess that made me feel a little safer.

I got up from the bed, leaving him to the shady behaviour and instead got dressed into some clean clothes and applied some makeup.

"I'm hungry, I'm going to get Everly and then I'm taking her out to eat. Are you coming?"

"Sure." He replied, not bothering to take his eyes off of the computer screen. I fixed myself a glass of water from the bathroom sink and returned to the bedroom without managing to distract him much.