• 30 •

RIVER POV

The airplane rode through the sky as if it were on sleek and perfect tracks. I sat pressed against the cockpit door, barricading us inside.

For the moment, all was calm and I could recognise the multitude of what Wyatt was doing for us. He was a true friend and a good person, I shit all over that.

He was right, as a teenager I didn't value his friendship, he was just another wave in the passing tide.

As an adult, I yearned for those friendships. Wyatt was around before I had money, he was true and trustworthy. The leeches I know these days are only after my wealth. He was risking his life right now for his friend, that was a man I wanted by my side.

"All that stuff you said to me before, you are right." He looked behind at me, acknowledging those words and then pivoted to face the front window again without answering. "I was a shitty friend to you."

"What is this River? The goodbye speech because you know we're going to die soon? I don't want to hear it."

"No it's not, I'm saying this because it's important and long overdue. Back then, I moved around so much. The government moved me states every three years in order to protect my identity so I formed a thick skin, I never got attached to people, never really deepened any friendships because I knew I'd never be able to keep them."

"Well you had no problem letting Millie in."

"Are you kidding me? I was so mean to Millie at first, I wanted to keep her at arms length. I never intended to let Millie in, it kind of just happened. I was too proud back then to ask for help and I didn't trust a single person. Millie caught me eating food from a dumpster, she gave me a job and although I never wanted to, I ended up falling for her. Those feelings never went away."

"I would've helped you. If I knew how bad things were for you, I would've helped you."

"I know. I'm sorry for hurting you and when all of this is over, I really hope we can build on our friendship but until then-" I clicked the safety off on my gun so it was ready to fire. "I have to get us off this plane in one piece."

"Hey, woah!" He was obviously still nervous about the whole kill aspects of this plan. "Don't shoot at the windows."

My hand was shaking as I reached out for the door handle, I was about to step out there and be four against one. Chances of me surviving this were slim.

I didn't want to die, not when I finally felt like I had something to live for. I wanted to go back home, hold my daughter until she fell asleep, comb through her silky black hair until all the tangles were out or just see her little face light up whenever we play jelly bean roulette and her mom, god I wanted to kiss Millie so damn hard, to take her into my arms and never let her go. I wanted to marry that girl and spend the rest of my life by her side.

Finding bravery somewhere in the dreams of my future I pulled on the door fast like I was ripping off a bandaid.

The men in the main aircraft cabin all flinched and were a second delayed in reaching for their own guns.

Hendrix was in my firing line, just sitting there in the center of the aircraft sipping on an alcoholic beverage like the worlds problems didn't exist. I shot through the glass, exploding shards everywhere and he screamed in pain as blood pissed from his eyeballs.

Leighton was the fastest one to react, immediately aiming his rifle towards me. I grabbed one of their guards, tackled his own gun away from him so I could drag his body in front of my own, creating a human shield from Leighton's fire.