CHAPTER 16.

While one threat had been annihilated, a new one was close, very close...under the same roof. Even in magic cancelling manacles Esther was as wicked as ever, but it was time to confront her, one last time.

Klaus walked towards the dungeon of the Mansion but stopped, hearing Hayley's footsteps behind him. She gently squeezed his shoulder, letting him know that she was there for him...but he needed to do this on his own.

"Hayley, I know you want to help...but my Mother is a manipulator, she will use you against me...playing with my fears."

"But you can't confront her like this...you aren't thinking straight Klaus...I'm not asking you to take me with you, just to take a couple of deep breaths," And he did as she said, taking deep breaths looking for her eyes, finding them and the lingering question in them.

"What is it?" He asked softly, tucking away a strand of hair behind her ear.

"She had seven children...and yet it feels as if she doesn't have her maternal instinct."

"Eight actually...my little Brother Henrik, he died at the hands of werewolves. She made us vampires in order to not lose any more children," He stopped to take a few breaths again looking for her eyes, searching for that glimpse of light in them...he needed it so much, "My siblings used to tell each other that it was the moment when she loved us the most. That she didn't hate us-she hated herself for what we've become. I think they believed it even after she cursed us all and tried to kill us."

She quietly asked. "And what did you believe?" Her question caught him off guard, no one had ever asked his point of view, everyone considered him too much of a lost cause.

"I don't know...I just knew I wanted her dead." They stared at each other for a long moment, before a mischievous smile appeared on her face,

"Well, every good story needs a wicked witch..." She winked at him with a small smile to cheer him up. "It'll be all the more satisfying when we melt her," She said wickedly.

He finally felt reassured and confident enough to face his Mother, she gave him one last affectionate smile and he kissed her before walking into the dungeon.

***

She watched him go, released a breath she didn't know she was holding, and slowly dragged herself to the stairs. Even though she was barely one month pregnant, she felt like she was getting exhausted very easily and all the power that her petite frame held was almost overwhelming. Step by step she walked upstairs, and directly into one of the guest rooms where Sophia was, she had missed her dearly and couldn't wait to tell her the great news.

Luckily when she knocked at the door, Sophia was awake and responded. Hayley slowly walked to the bed and got in next to her best friend, hugged her side affectionately and rested her head on Sophia's shoulder. The smiles on their faces were delightful, you could tell by them how much they needed a hug from each other, and they stood in comfortable silence, as they used to do as children.

Only for one to break it and then laugh their asses off. This time it was Hayley who broke the silence, "Guess what happened?"

Sophia lowered her head and looked at her chosen Sister, "What?" She asked softly.

"I'm pregnant," Hayley gushed with a smile.

Sophia jolted from her sitting position and to her feet near the bed, "What-wait...the soulmate curse is broken?!"

"No," Hayley said smiling amusedly, "Klaus' werewolf side allowed him to Father a child..."

"So what is the bun that you're cooking in your oven? An alien?" Soph asked dropping to the bed laughing as if it was the funniest joke ever.