𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙾𝚗𝚎

────»»❀❀❀««────

song of the chapter: california dreamin by the mama's and the papa's

"all the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey"

────»»❀❀❀««────

       I clutched another VHS tape from my overflowing cart. Randy dragged his feet over to me and grasped a few films to put into his almost empty cart.

"How late are you working?" I questioned, reaching into the cart to grip another movie.

"Till closing," he specified, putting The Evil Dead back where it belonged. What a shit show that movie was.

"Oh. I'm only working till nine," I agonized, throwing my head back.

I hated driving alone, especially at night. There was just something unsettling about it. I always felt as if there was someone in the trunk, ready to attack.

The crowd at the store was not nearly as crowded as usual. There were five people at the most. I noticed a small chubby kid browsing the horror section, along with a tall slim woman moving through the rom-com section.

I noticed a group of middle school boys in the porno section, chuckling and acting like children. They seemed like the kids who would be cool in middle school but absolute losers in high school.

"The movies almost over," Randy noticed.

He pointed to the bulky TV in the middle of the store. We were in charge of the movies that played on it, so of course, we always chose a horror movie.

The movie was almost finished. Alice was sitting in the canoe on the lake, thinking it was all over. Boy, was she wrong. They made like eight other movies.

"Halloween?" he pleaded. I chuckled, appreciating that it was his favorite.

"Are we allowed to show that?" I wondered, twirling my hair.

"The boss isnt here," he shrugged, exiting to change the movie.

"Just hope I dont tell on you," I joked dramatically.

"You're annoying," he informed me.

"Everyone knows that," I pointed out, kissing his cheek. "So what? Im your girlfriend." He chuckled, rolling his eyes.

Halloween wasnt my favorite scary movie, but it was in my top ten. Randy loved it, though. My favorite was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I checked my watch. 8:50. I smiled slightly, moving my cart over to the drama section, my eyes still on the movie screen.

"Why didnt Laurie go to the police when she saw Myers staring at her from the bedroom window?" I questioned, not talking to anyone in particular.

"What are the police gonna do about Michael Myers?" the chubby kid retorted, chuckling.

"I guess youre right," I laughed.

I bore my eyes into the middle schoolers, noticing that they were making their way to the counter. I left my full cart behind and swiftly fled to the counter.

"What would you boys like to rent?" I asked, already apprehending the answer.

"These," the tallest boy decided, placing two pornos on the counter. I tried not to laugh.

"Im gonna need to ID you," I babbled, still playing along. I comprehended that I should have thrown them out, but I wanted to have some fun first.

"Look, Im having a party tonight, and we need something," the boy explained.