𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚘

────»»❀❀❀««───

song of the chapter: FNT by Semisonic

"i'm surprised that you've never been told before that you're lovely, and you're perfect, and that somebody wants you."

────»»❀❀❀««────

      I felt my stomach drop. The sun reflecting from the window behind me created a glare on the TV, so I couldn't see the events being replayed. I was almost thankful.

"Dead?" I repeated, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Yeah" he whispered.

        I pushed the cereal away from me and sauntered over to where he was sitting at the round kitchen table. I sat down next to him, pressing my hands to my nose. The scent of lilac calmed me a bit.

"Maybe we shouldn't go to school," I appealed, crossing my arms.

"We have to go," he concluded.

        I let out a deep sigh. I never contemplated that something like that could happen here. It happened in the movies, sure, but never in real life.

"Do they know who did it?" I wondered.

"The monster hasnt been caught yet," he sighed in disgust.

╭────»»❀❀❀««────╮

        When we pulled up to school, I almost didn't recognize the campus. There were new vans, reporters, and cameramen everywhere. I'd never seen so many cameras in one place.

        I switched off Serenade in B-Flat D Major by Mozart, which I had been forcing Billy to listen to, and got out of the car. I focused on the surrounding area, trying to find the best route to the school.

"Did you hear about what happened?" Randy questioned.

        I jumped at the sudden voice. I must've zoned off since I hadn't heard him and Stu approach us. I sighed, turning to them.

"Yeah," I remarked vaguely, standing rigidly.

"This place is packed!" Stu chorused.

        He was practically whistling with joy. Anger rose in my chest. How could he be so happy? Two people were dead. And one of them was his ex.

"Stu, two people are dead," I groused, biting the inside of my cheek.

"But look at all of the reporters!" he beamed, crinkling his eyes.

"Do you care about anyone other than yourself?" I snapped, my hands squeezing into fists. The three boys turned to me, seemingly alarmed. "I'm going to my locker."

             I turned and scooted along in the other direction. I glimpsed back, expecting someone to have followed me.

             I groaned when no one did. That was the problem with being friends with boys. They didn't pick up social cues. So I just shook my head, making my way to ELA 12.

╭────»»❀❀❀««────╮

           I was sitting in Orchestra staring out the window while the teacher yapped on about music theory. We hadnt played our instruments in a week.

          Since middle school, I'd been in Orchestra, so I didn't need all the music theory lessons. I was staring at a specific tree out the window. The way the sun cast light on it made it seem as if it was moving.

"Miss Loomis!" I turned my head briskly towards the door. It's your turn.

        I pulled myself up and made my way across the room after putting my violin down. I heard someone pushing my chair in for me. Probably Benny Davis. He had a thing about people not pushing in their chairs.