Part 21

We all rode in silence for at least 20 minutes. No one said a word. I don't know if it was because we were all in shock or if because we were all afraid we'd break and if one of us broke all of us would and right now we couldn't afford that, because this time we were in really deep trouble and we all knew it. Kie was thinking rationally and drove back roads, but when the sirens and lights got more frequent, we all knew we had to ditch the twinkie. Kie drove us to her house and we parked the van in her garage, and all piled in her Cherokee. Her and Pope up front and JJ, myself, and John B in back.

She drove us around until we could find a hidden spot to park and keep a low profile. We found some old barn and she backed into it and we all hunkered down. We would be alright here for a while, I think. There was enough overgrowth to keep her car hidden and it blended too. It was getting late and all of our adrenalin was wearing off and soon we all ended up asleep.

***

"Good news for Outer Banks resident. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line will restore power to 90% of the area and should be functional within 24 hours."

The radio played low to drown out the silence among us. We've all been sitting here in this car all day. We don't really have a next move or plan of action.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest a juvenile from-"

I finally spoke up, "Kie, turn it off."

She quickly reached up and turned off the radio. I looked over to John B and he was just starting out the window. I reached over and lightly touched his arm. He didn't move. He didn't flinch or knock my arm away. He just looked out the window. I sighed and I retracted my hand.

"So, let's game this out", JJ piped up while adjusting his hat, "Maybe you guys up front can help, being the smart ones and all, but who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So, the accuser is a bigshot developer, king of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused, is John B... who is pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."

I reached over and smacked him with the back of my hand. He flinched and rubbed his chest where I hit him.

"Thanks", John B sighed.

"That hurt", JJ whined.

"Stop saying stupidly obvious things", I scolded him.

"Shit", Pope sighed from the front.

JJ put his arm around me and pulled me to him, only so he could look over me and at John B, "Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?'

I pulled out from his hold as John B spoke up, "Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah will bail me out."

"She did see the whole thing", Kiara pointed out.

"Thank you", John B sighed in relief as someone else helped back his thought process.

"And she's gonna snitch on her bother?", Pope asked.

"Great we're bringing up that jerk off again", JJ scoffed.

I took his hand in mine, "JJ now isn't the time for your jealous boyfriend act okay babe?"

He just rolled his eyes and pulled a joint from his pocket and lit it, "Not gonna happen my dudes. Sarah isn't gonna snitch on her brother. We've got to get you off the island dude."