Part 7

Finding the compass lit a new fire in John B. He was convinced that his dad was alive and out there. My heart hurt for him knowing he didn't have the answers he needed. After finding the compass John B sat shocked for a while until we convinced him to come with us inside. Kie and Pope eventually went home, and JJ and I stayed for a little while to make sure he was okay but eventually he pushed us out, just wanting to be alone. We decided to go talk to Ms. Lana tomorrow, Scooter's wife, and see if she knew anything about the compass or why Scooter had it. Reluctantly JJ and I left and went to my house. JJ parked his motorbike out front and we silently climbed the steps to my house.

My front door was already unlocked, and we walked in to finding my dad passed out drunk on the couch. JJ and I quietly raided my kitchen and came up with some 'Cheez its' and left-over pizza. We took our unimpressive haul back to my room and shut ourselves in.

"You think your dad will wake up", JJ asked as we took seats on my bed.

"Nah, I don't think so. Pretty sure he chased something with the beer", I said taking a bite of pizza.

"So, you really think John B's dad is still alive?", JJ asked doing the same.

"Honestly, I don't know. Finding this compass sure does give him hope though. I just hope this doesn't end in disappointment for him", I sighed.

"It'll work out. Some way, some how, it will", he assured me and reached over to take my hand.

I raised an eyebrow at him, "That's very positive of you", I stated skeptically.

He shrugged off my statemen and kept eating. We ate and talked about today and realized that it was completely insane. I mean being shot at? Who shoots at kids? There must be something more to all this than we realize if people are willing to shoot at a group of teenagers. JJ and I finished eating and got ready for bed. We were drained from today and were completely ready to crash.

***

The next morning JJ and I got up early. We laid in bed for a while though.

"JJ?", I asked.

"Hmm", he hummed and I felt it as I laid on his chest.

"Shouldn't we get up and over to John B's?", I asked.

"In a minute", he sighed and tightened his grip on me.

I looked up at him and he smiled down at me, "I'm really glad you told how you felt the other night."

"It wasn't easy", he chuckled.

"You know you can let me in, right?", I assured him as I reached up and brushed his check with the back of my hand.

"I know. You probably know me better than anyone", he admitted.

"Does that bother you?"

He sat us both up and looked at me. He took my face in his hands and looked me in the eyes, "No. Not in the least bit. It's nice having someone in my corner for a change"

"What about the others? They're in you corner", I assured him

"It's not the same", he smiled and leaned down to kiss me.

The feel of JJ's lips was something I would never get tired of. There were so many emotions every time we touched and what I felt, I can't even explain it.