Part 12

After yesterday I never wanted to see Rafe Cameron or any of those Kooks again. JJ and I managed to get up and sneak out past his dad who was passed out on the couch. We had woken up early this morning, and JJ tried to 'remind' me of last night's conversation, but he looked worse this morning then he did last night. So, safe to say that conversation went out the window fast.

We headed down to Heyward's to meet Pope and Kiara. Pope was stuck working the register today. We all hung out behind the counter talking about the fact that Midsummer was tonight. Midsummer was this Kook party down at the country club that was held every year. This year Kiara and her parents were going and she's been trying to get me to go with her as her plus one, but JJ and I got jobs working the party and the money seemed better then hanging with people who knew I didn't belong.

I sat on the counter close to the register, Kie was working the register, Pope was walking around putting things on shelves and doing some inventory, and JJ was standing next to me.

"Has anyone talked to John B today?", I asked as Pope came back to the counter.

Everyone silently shook their heads. After the fight last night, we all kind of forgot to check on him. I don't know about the others, but I felt like a bad friend.

"Can we talk about what happened last night?", Kiara asked as someone approached the counter.

"Yeah you two never explained why the kooks were after you", I said giving JJ the side eye.

"Well let's just say they messed with us, we messed with them, and now we're back to square one, but this time we're constantly looking over our shoulder, especially after last night", Pope sighed.

"Dude, don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us. That's some typical Kook shit right there", JJ said as he picked up an orange and started tossing it around.

"Well if were gonna talk about last night, what was your thought process Pope? Cause you put up a fight", JJ asked impressed.

Pope shrugged as he took Kie's spot at the register, "I don't know man. I just acted off instinct. I was a corner animal."

We all laughed a little at his comment. I was about to say something when Heyward's beat me to it.

"Hye Pope, someone here to see you", his father called as we all looked up at Heyward.

We heard chatter on what sounded like a radio then Shoupe strolled in. We all exchanged looks.

"Evening officer", Pope said dryly.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property", Shoupe said as he pulled out a packet of folded papers and handed them to Heyward.

We all looked at one another in horror. What did these two do? What could have been so bad that it would cause Pope of all people to get arrested.

"What?", his father asked as Pope looked back to JJ.

"Hands where I can see them boy", Shoupe called out to Pope as he moved in behind the counter, "Young Lady , out of my way", he said to me as I had jumped off the counter and ended up blocking his path to Pope, he lightly pushed me aside.

"Woah. Shoupe, what'd he do?", Heyward asked as Shoupe pulled out handcuffs and began placing them on Pope.

"Look at the warrant", Shoupe told Heywards as he finished fastening the cuffs on Pope.