Part 13

We had all made it to Rixion's Cover. Kie and I still in our Midsummer dresses, JJ had changed because he had other clothes with him. We had built a fire and were still on a rush from the party and our grand exit. I sat with JJ on a log as I looked his face over. He told me little of what happened. Just that when his dad got him out, they got into it pretty bad. I knew he was downplaying it but I didn't press the issue.

"Hey, guys", Pope called out pulling my attention from JJ, I looked over at him, "So my dad is already gonna kill me. So, what's this mandatory meeting about?"

JJ and John B exchanged looks and John B lifted both hands and shot finger guns at JJ. I looked up at JJ and waited. Still no one said anything.

"Will some one just tell us what the hell is going on", I slightly scoffed at the boys.

JJ sighed and looked to me and then looked to John B, "Might as well tell them man", he said and leaned down and picked up a small stick and started twirling it between his finger but continued, "Before we're all gaffed."

"You ready for this?", John B asked as he briefly looked us all over.

"Yeah, we've been ready. Spill it", I told him and Kie backed me by going, "Yeah."

"So", he started slowly, "The gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

I brought my arm to loop through JJ's and I ran my hand down his arm until I interlocked our fingers.

"Oh, God. Here we go again with this", Pope sighed and threw his hands up.

"No. All right, wait. Hear him out, all right?", JJ told Pope.

John B had a clam look on his face but there was small smirk lingering, "It's been here the whole time, It's on the island."

"Are you serious?", Kie asked, "Oh my god."

"John B, no offense but we've been over this. I think the gold is long gone. The drone was our last shot and that blew", I said surly and looked to Pope to back me up.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism", Pope added.

"I'm sure you would, Pope", John B said as he stood up and walked over to stand in front of all of us, the camp fire casting a glow over his as he stood there, "But can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

Pope was so over all of this gold talk, you could see it all over his face, "Proceed", he said crossing his arms.

"All right! So, in my backpack", he started and leaned over and got into his backpack and pulled out a folded-up piece of paper, "I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell is that?", Kiara asked.

I thought about it for a moment then asked, "Tanny?"

John B nodded and smiled, "Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out", he said unfolding the paper and handing it to Kie.

"What?", she breathed out as she looked the paper over.

"Okay...Slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but, my dad found the complete manifest. That was his bid discovery", he told us, "So, Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom."