Chapter 5 Warning

May 1st, Friday
Evening

Angel and Tao spent quite a lot of time together. The moon had nearly peaked by the time they returned to Tatsumi Port Island and began heading to their respective dorms. . .

As the young man grasped the handle to the Boy's Dorm, a familiar voice called to him.

"Akeboshi-kun."

Gazing over his shoulder, Angel was met by the moonlit form of Rio Iwasaki, dressed in her monochrome volleyball uniform with her tanto blade strapped to her hip.

". . . Give me a moment. I don't like fighting in my school uniform." By the time the more experienced fighter returned, the Dark Hour had begun.

Soon, dim greens overtook the city as the Shadows lurked on the streets. . . Only tonight was different. Their numbers compared to nights prior had doubled, almost tripled. . .

Angel couldn't help but compare it to the night almost a month ago.

The young man watched on as Rio rushed through a group of Mayas, her Intrepid Knight barreling through the Shadows, a single swing of its lance wiping them out. . .

"You seem stressed." Akeboshi remarked as he stepped towards Iwasaki, the girl huffing and puffing after a long night of rushing into battle without a second thought. . .

". . . I am." Rio murmured, letting out one last deep breath before dismissing the Ray of Light, the Knight vanishing in a flash as she lost her balance, legs giving out. Her partner quickly jumped forward and caught her, leaning her against himself. . .

"You over did it. Let's take a break." Angel muttered, only for the ravennette to pull herself out of his grasp.

"If you're still up and running, so am- ngh!" The girl winced and lost her footing yet again, the redhead letting her fall to prove his point.

"Injuries here are serious, Iwasaki." The sixteen-year-old stood beside her, slowly holding out his hand. "If you try to push yourself more than you are now, you'll be out of it for days." He warned grimly.

Angel could almost feel just how much it pained Rio to even acknowledge that she had to sit down and catch her breath, that she had to rest. . .

". . . Okay." She begrudgingly reached out and took his hand, the boy lifting her from the ground and helping her walk down the street.

"Let's fine some place safe. . . Then we can talk."

That safe zone just so happened to be Naganaki Shrine. The vibrant red glow of the gateway to the Scarlet Room lit the shrine, emitting a majestic hum that reverberated across the reaches of the Dark Hour. . .

"It's so dark here. Are you sure it's safe?" Rio questioned, warily glancing at the distant Tartarus, the tower poking at the half moon in the sky.

". . . Can she not see the Scarlet Room?" Aris wondered. "Agi." A small flame formed in the palm of his hand, lighting up the world for Rio Iwasaki.