Chapter 4 Experience

April 28th, Tuesday

The dark ambience of the Dark Hour was broken by the wet steps of two teenagers. The eerie winds coiled around them, the waxing crescent in the sky dimly illuminating the streets of Tatsumi Port Island and Iwatodai. . .

"If we're going to do anything, then you need to learn how to fight." Angel stated as he and Rio marched through the darker side of their world.

"I'm an athlete. I think I can hold my own." Gekkoukan's Volleyball Team Captain remarked confidently. She was even dressed in her volleyball uniform. It didn't provide the most protection, but it was flexible and easy to move in.

"Fighting in here is nothing like in the real world." The First-Year stated sagely, coming to a stop upon spotting a number of Mayas down the road. . . "For one, have you realized how light you are?"

"Sort of. . .?" Rio tapped her foot on the pavement, noting how the air seemingly split at the smallest movements.

"To keep it simple, we're physically stronger during the Dark Hour. We punch harder, move faster, but there is a downside." Angel elaborated, placing one foot ahead of the other and summoning a katana into his right hand. "Basically, do not let them touch you."

His body seemingly flickered before Akeboshi dashed forth, leaving behind a gust of wind as he raced down the street!

"Woah?!" Rio exclaimed, staggering as the young man blitzed past the three Mayas, sword parallel to the ground. . . A second passed before all three Shadows burst into dust.

"Lesson One, taking Shadows by surprise is always the best option." Angel declared, swiping his blade before letting it dissipate into the air.

". . . Geez, that looked so cool." The girl blushed lightly before jogging to catch up with her kohai. "So. . . Before we move on, uh. . . Can I have a weapon?" She requested with a nervous laugh.

"What did you have in mind?" The redhead asked, turning to her and holding out his hand. In a bright flash of light, dozens of medieval weapons floating in the air around him. . . All of which fell to the ground and made quite a ruckus.

"Uh. . . How about something close up? I do need to get close to purify them after all. . ." Iwasaki sweatdropped at the sheer amount of metal on the street, knowing fully well she'd never be able to find what she needed in the mess. 

The boy hummed and began digging through the pile of blades, clubs, and spikes, tossing stuff every which way without a career in the world. It took him a minute, but he eventually stood straight.

"I have no idea what weapons fit that category."

"Do you even know how to use these things?!" The Second-Year yelled incredulously, her partner shaking his head incessantly. She let out a sigh and crouched down, carefully sorting through the arsenal. . . "I guess this should do fine."

Rio grabbed hold of a small leather scabbard, unlatching the strap and taking hold of the thick grip, gently sliding out a tanto knife. She placed the weapon back in its sheath and hooked it to her hip.

"It suits you." Angel commented, a small smile etched on his face.

"Thanks. . ." The seventeen year old grinned. "Now, on to lesson two!"