1

MOIRA

Calder leans over the railing of the ship, his feet dangling as he peers over into the waves. They fall to him of course. The Moira's Demise churns the sea, heading toward port again, for the first time in a long time.

I inhale my cigar blowing out a plume of smoke, sitting on a barrel of rum I will finish tonight before we make port. My crew is weary and I am weary of their complaining.

"Don't you worry I'll fall into the sea?" Calder calls, leaning precariously over the edge. "Thomas's mother would worry for him."

I raise my brows and shake my head. "No, I do not worry."

"Why not?" He insists, eyes focused on the water as he gets dangerously close to falling off the railing.

"Because if you do, your father will catch you."

Calder looks back at me his dark blue hair sticking to his face from the spray of the sea. "I don't think it's true."

I shrug, and take another drag of my cigar, my boots on the table. "Ye calling me a liar boy?"

He crosses his arms. "Well...I do not think you are a truther."

My lips turn up despite myself. I stub my cigar out and nod at him, beckoning him to me. He follows those familiar eyes glowing in a curiosity I'm so familiar with.

Calder stands in front of me. I take the back of my shirt, wipes his damp face, looking at him as he flinched away from my hands.

He pushes at my hands and I let him go, as he stands annoyed. "I bet I don't even have a father. The sea spit me out, and you just picked me up."

"Hm? That mean I'm not yer mother? I'll drop you off when we make port then I'm sure she's a lovely lady, your real mother," I tease, shrugging, closing my eyes as he whines.

"No...you're my mom! See I even look like you!"

He looks nothing like me but I don't tell him that. I put my hand on his head and grin. "Yeah...like the reflection in the sea you and me. Yer right. The sea spit you out and I picked you up."

I adjust his clothing, almost a little too big for him. "Before he left your father blessed me. And then came you. My little blessing," I ruffle his hair to which he protests of course. He's a big boy now, at least that's what he says.

"Land Ho!"

I stand upright. Calder looks up to me curiously. "What are we porting for mom? Ooh are getting food? I want candy!"

I put me hand on his head. "No, we're fine on supplies. We'll see if we pass any candy carts."

He takes my hand. "Then...we have to go to temple again? But it's so boring!"

I heave a sigh as we dock the ship, practically staying Calder from the ship as he flails about, screaming that he spent want to go.

I rangle him into the temple, forcing his head down into a bow. "Don't cause too much trouble, y'hear?"

Calder grumbles bowing. "Praise Youin god of water, Patron of sailors," he mumbled irreverently. I look up at the statue of him. Calder runs away spotting other children to play with by the fountain.

I cross my arms. "Where the hell have you been? I thought you'd be gone for a month. Maybe a year...a debate is a little too far God of Water. It's too much even for a scoundrel like you."

Nothing. But what did I expect? He's been silent for years. He professed such strong feelings, forced his heart between my teeth just to abandon me? Such is the fickle attention of gods, I suppose.

"I'm worried. On one hand the sea is no place for a child. On the other, he's yours. How can I take him from his home?"

I take a swig of my rum, my eyes following Calder. He runs and plays by the fountain. Always by the water.

"I don't know how to raise a god. You don't have to love me anymore. That's fine. But at least..."

What's the use? I can't keep coming here, begging him to show up. Its not like me to hold on, especially to sigh an arrogant, selfish god. I turn around,  and walk away.

"Atlantis..."

I pause, looking over my shoulder. His voice. I'd missed it. How embarrassing.

Into the water. Go into the water.

"Calder!"

Into the water.

I pick my son up, running toward the port, where the Demise is docked. But I don't board my ship. My feet stand at the edge of the dock. I take a deep breath.

Go to the water.

"Mom?"

I edge forward and take a step off the dock, ignoring the screams of the guards and my son. Water condensed under my feet, slowly sinking us into the water.

"Mommy! Mom I'm scared! What if I drown?! Mommy please!"

I smile, smoothing his hair as the water covers our heads. "You won't drown."

Calder sniffled. I close my eyes, the cool sea engulfing us both. We sink, pulled down by an invisible force.

Calder shifts, tucking his neck. Gills form opening, an instant. He inhales deeply, looking at hood hands in fear.

"I'm scared mommy." He whimpers.

The sun is less potent. I do out decent, holding his hand. "You have nothing to fear, my son."