dupatta

Abhimanyu didn't believe in destiny. 

Despite most of his family reiterating the ideology of 'everything happened due to its own reason' the idea of destiny never stuck with him. He brushed it off stating that he was a doctor making him a firm believer in whatever science preached, however most of the time that belief fell short in front of his family, who all happened to be doctors too. 

Most of his life he had the freewill to make all his choices, however along the way he had unknowingly associated his freedom with his mother's happiness and his father's frustration. The only part of med school he was grateful for was the fact that he could spend a couple of years away from his family which he was mocked by the outside world for, since the Birla family symbolizes unity and love contrary to what the advertise themselves as, which falls along the lines of power and wealth.

He believed that destiny was bullshit. He always thought that he should have the power and control over the life he exercises and the people he meets. However he couldn't help but feel that he had lost something when he had woken up the next morning to find Akshara and her luggage missing. 

They had spent the night exchanging stories and bantering back and forth about various topics mainly because he seemed to become slowly addicted to her pout she makes when she disagrees about something. 

"Chalo Bhai" The train conductor calls and he makes an effort to sit up. He sulks as his picks up his luggage from the roof of the sleeping bed, before checking his surrondings to make sure he didn't miss anything. 

The corner of his eye catches a yellow material swaying against the light breeze seemingly hooked onto the end of the seat. He allows the material freedom before skimming it between his fingertips, it was Akshara's dupatta.

Suddenly an idiotic smile makes it way onto his face and he departs the train with a renewed sense of unaccounted happiness. 

***

"I can't believe you actually traveled via train!" Neil exclaims as he grips onto one of Abhimanyu's bags, "Sir had a field day"

"Maa kaisa ha?" Abhimanyu asks, disregarding Neil's prior comment. "woh teek hai na, health mein?"

"Haan haan" Neil rolls his eyes, "Aur tum mere baare mein mat pooche, mein teek hu"

"Acha sorry batao tum kaise hain? Tumara startup kaise hain?" Abhimanyu threw his arm around his younger brother, who seemed to deflate at his words. Noticing the change in his brother's demeanor, Abhimanyu asked "Kuch hau kya?"

"Nahi sir bola ki main bhi hospital mein kaam kar sakte haan" Neil answers using air quotations, "Loosely translated, You have to work at the hospital and you have no other choice"

"Neil, you should have disagreed. Kaise tum haan kaha? Woh startup tumara dream haan na?" Abhimanyu chided him and his bleak feelings towards his father returned. 

Neil shook his head and smiled in spite of his brother, not everyone had his brother's courage and at times Neil himself felt that maybe if he was truly part of the family he could act like his brother too.  "Vaise bhi bhaiya aap thande haan toh mera jacket tum lene sakta haan.  Kuch ladki ko dupatta nahin lena padata"

Abhimanyu looks down at the dupatta trying to find a valid excuse before giving in, "Hogaya" Abhimanyu says amused at his brother's childish taunts. "And this belongs to-

"Mera hone wala bhabi?" Neil asks innocently and Abhimanyu gives him dry smile before Neil falls into silent fits of laughter at his own joke.

"Nahin mere opposite seat passenger ka" He corrects, "Plus I didn't even know I had it, I was just gathering all my belongings and I might have accidently picked up this dupatta"

"You're telling me that you? Mr. OCD? left a mess of your belongings that when you were gathering them you accidently picked up that girl's dupatta?" Neil grins as he adds an extra emphasis on the accidently, "Plus didn't sir book all the seats around you"

"Itna unbelievable haan?" Abhimanyu asks trying to keep his voice level. "Aur uska naam Akshara haan and she needed help so I offered the seat- more like she stole the seat. Don't ask, it's a long story. Anyways that's all there is to it."

Neil nods his head in deep thought,"Tum bahut alaag rahe hain since tumara train journey. Tum muskura rahe hon aur ek ladki ki dupatta liya haan"

Abhimanyu threw Neil an unimpressed look as the car their family sent to pick them arrived and opened the trunk to load his luggage. Once the both of them were seated in the car, Neil signaled the driver and the sound of the engine roaring to life filled the area around. 

"Uff main bhool gaya tumase poochane ke lie" Neil slaps his forehead and Abhimanyu shakes his head at his brother's antics before raising his brows in question. 

"meree bhabhi kitne sundar haan?"

Abhimanyu groans and hits his head against the seat and buries his face in his hands and soon realizes that he was still holding Akshara's dupatta which aids to Neil's further satisfaction and Abhimanyu's misfortune.

***

the show rn is going so downhill also i miss neil our ultimate abhira shipper :(((

comment and vote <33