kabhi kabhi

The sound of old desi gazals reverberates in his eardrums mixed along with playful chatter and youthful shrieks of laughter coming from the mouths of children running around. The molten orange and pink hues blanketed the illuminating ball of fire that was descending downwards signalling sunset. 

Multicolored flowers filled various baskets and were occupied by women chatting among themselves as they turned the flowers into wedding decorations. He lets out a content sigh, this was definitely a change for his sore eyes against the gore of injuries and grief of family members in the hospital that was his daily scene.

He turned to his side to see Neil talking in a hushed manner with a girl around their age and he guessed that there wasn't any flirtation going between the two of them due to the outraged expression on the girl's face, however he realized he shouldn't think so high of his brother's flirtation skills and it was very much a possibility that most girls reacted like that when his brother flirted with them. 

"Bakwas tum" The girl flung her arm outwards in frustration and stormed off which caused a smile to light up Neil's face. 

"Woh ladki mera hone wala bhabhi hain?" Abhimanyu asked Neil and  smiled victoriously at Neil's evident distaste.

"main tumara pair mein gir jaoonga" Neil said his tone watery, "Just never say that again"

"Itne reaction? Definitely mera bhabhi hoga" Abhimanyu grinned and Neil let out a stream of protests and insults which alerted a few people around them including their mother who had appeared behind them. 

"Neil kaise baat karta hain tum" Manjiri said, her mouth pulled into a straight line and Neil sent Abhimanyu a insolent look. 

"Maa, hum sirf majaak kar rahe hoon" Abhimanyu said, stooping down to take blessings from his mother. Her reaction automatically shifted and she smiled at her oldest son causing Neil to send him a grateful look. 

"Abhi tumko bahut logon se milane haan" Manjiri said, her tone filled with excitment. Abhimanyu mentally facepalmed himself but nonetheless smiled. "Teek hai kaise hain? Train journey?"

"Bilkul teek hain, chinta mat kar" Abhimanyu said, leading her towards a seat. "Aap kaise hain?"

"Tum aaega nah toh mein kush hain" A bright smile stretched across his mother's face as she said this but soon dimmed at the shadow of his father's arrival. 

"Abhimanyu" Harshvardan nodded his head in acknowledgement, Abhimanyu stood nodding back. "Tum aaram karo, dost ka shaadi hai na. Manjiri tum mera saath aana, hum Gupta family se milwane"

Neil stood behind Abhimanyu as they both watched the retreating figures of their parents nad shook his head. He places a hand on Abhimanyu's shoulder showing his support and as a way of bringing him back to the current moment from his brother's raging thoughts. 

"Toh tumara childhood dost, Richa ka behen ki shaadi Neil says after a beat and Abhimanyu turns towards him. "Careful Bhai, they might try and set you up with Richa"

"You know my opinions on weddings" Abhimanyu replies dryly and they start walking towards the food stalls in the wedding festive grounds. "Shaadi ek waste of money aur time"

"Dekho bhai, pyaar tum se badaal jaega" Neil says wisely and Abhimanyu laughs humorlessly. 

They continue arguing about the pros and cons of weddings and how it affects certain family dynamics. Abhimanyu argues with stastics and real life examples, mostly consisting of family members, who've had failed marriages whereas Neil counters with bleak arguments that mainly surround ideas such as 'right person' and 'true love' which to Abhimanyu seems like his brother had been immersing himself in too many old bollywood chick-flicks. 

The strong scent of jasmines overpowers his sences and he misplaces his next step leading him to bump into a girl carrying a big basket of flowers. On instinct he grabs her hand but only after realizing who she was, he pulls her closer. Her eyes are closed almost as a reflex and she flinches before registering that she didn't caress the floor yet another time. 

Her eyes flutter open hesitantly and her mouth drops open at her saviour, "Oye!"

"Oye" He counters and once again he can't seem to tear his eyes away from the black and brown hues that he seems to look for everywhere. "Akshara"

"ab mujhe chod sakate hoon" Akshara says after a beat of silence that's filled with old hindi gazals. He reluctantly sets her up straight and she holds his forearms for balance before wrapping her dupatta tightly around herself.  "Tum idhere kya kar raha hoon?"

"Mera dost ka shaadi haan" He replies almost instantaneously. She's dressed in another traditional palazzo suit, however this time it's a mehendi color which brings an emphasis to her eyes. "Aur tum?"

"Mera bhaiya ki shaadi haan" She replies and she widens her eyes as understanding dawns upon her. "Tum ladkiwaalo se hain!"

He's taken aback by her statement but nods nevertheless and is desperate to question the universe on the chances for them to meet like this again. 

"So tum woh ladka hain kyon Richa baat karte hai" Akshara says, and a laugh escapes her. "Train wala Abhimanyu"

"Train wala Abhimanyu! Woh kis tara nickname hain" He exclaims before taking a step towards her. " Mainne socha ki mera nickname hoga, train wala pati"

She opens her mouth to retort but closes it with a pout instead, "kabhi kabhi kuch cheezen hota hain vah sach nahi haan"

"Aur kabhi kabhi kuch cheejen hone ke lie hota hain" He whispers daring to take another step towards her from his misplaced confidence rooting from the fact that she hasn't stepped away yet.

"Aur kabhi kabhi aap bhai ka yaad karna hain" Neils voice emerges from behind them stealing Akshara's attention. Akshara's eyes light up in recognition and the both of them let out squels of joy at the sight of each other. Abhimanyu wears a confused yet bemused expression on his face at the sight in front of him. 

"bhai ka yaad karna hain" Abhimanyu mimics Neil as he gestures towards himself and taking a step forward creating distance between Neil and Akshara. 

"Oh yeah" Neil presses his hand against his forehead, "Akshara yeh mera bhai hain lekin tum dono pahle mila hain kya?"

"woh ek badee kahaane hai" Abhimanyu says, sending a wink towards a frustrated looking Akshara. "for another time"

"the groom for the wedding is Kairav, Akshara's brother" Neil informs Abhimanyu and suddenly Abhimanyu's ecstatic to attend the wedding. "Hamen door rahana chaahie kyunki hum ladkiwala ka side hain aur Akshara ladkawala ka hain"

"I don't believe in those things" Abhimanyu says, which causes Akshara's eyebrows to shoot up. 

"Well I do" Akshara says crossing her arms over her chest, "And I intend to follow the rules of both sides-"

She's about to add more to her little speech before a few elderly women steal her away to her apparent disgrace leading Abhimanyu to chuckle at her childish frolic.

kabhi kabhi soch badalata making destiny not seem like such a bad idea after all.

***

the current show is a shitshow rn 

soooo a happy story to sooth the wounds.

COMMENT AND VOTE