taara

The multiple arrays of bangles clatter against each other as they move along with Akshara towards Hina's room. The tilak function was supposed to start soon and Mimi had demanded that they give Hina a small gift before they presented her with a shagun. 

Her ghagra choli generated a tinkling sound with each step she took forward signaling her arrival. She pushed the door open with her back as her line of vision was hidden due to the various boxes topped over one another. She tumbled slightly but was steadied by two hands grasping hers and she didn't need to look at him to know who it was. 

Abhimanyu.

Even though she was grateful towards him because of his help during their train ride, he had become her biggest headache since his arrival at the wedding. They both would always end up in an argument or a fued which would end up with her fuming while him grinning. 

He helps her by placing the boxes on the table next to them and she's about to pass a snide remark before she notices the look on his face. "Abhimanyu, teek hai na sab kuch? Hina kidhere hain?"

Abhimanyu gives her a crestfallen look and panic shoots up her as she notices the state of the room they both were standing in, clothes scattered everywhere with broken pieces of glass decorating the floor. Her hand flys up to cover her mouth and she rotates in a complete three sixty before turning to face him again and communicate a thousand questions through her eyes. 

"What were you doing here?" Akshara prods, unable to withstand the silence.

"Richa and I were catching up as we waited for Hina to put final touches onto her makeup but when she was taking to long we opened the door and Hina was an absolute mess, she was sobbing hysterically and wouldn't tell us anything. bahut ajeeb tha kyunki hum uski saath the ek minute pahale" He shares, and sends a look towards the broken glass shards and adds awkwardly "well the rest you can probably piece together"

"I'm sure Richa will console her" Akshara asks, her heart falling through her stomach as she recalled her brother's happy face, "Maybe she'll calm down, it's normal for people to be emotional"

He just nods and she realizes she's never seen him this solemn before which adds more fuel to the though that he must be hiding something, however she doesn't get a chance to question him about it  as she hears the jovial voice of her Bade papa passing by the hallway. Abhimanyu and her share a look and in one swift motion Abhimanyu pulls her to the side before locking the door hiding the chaos.

His hand is pressed against her mouth as her body molds into his, they wait for what seems like several hours before breaking apart. Akshara throat goes dry and her mouth doesn't seem to function as they stand face to face. They dare themselves to meet each other's eyes and they last a second before she blurts out a lame excuse and rushes out.

The cold air of the night sky teaches her how to breathe again and it isn't until she sees her brother's joyous face that she realizes that the bride is missing. She consoles herself in what she hopes isn't delusional, marriage is a big decision and most people cower away before taking the step forward. She presses her palms against her ghagra choli and walks towards her family who seem to be awaiting their future daughter in law. As a child, she always adored weddings since she loved the amount of events there were and the meaning behind each one. A wedding was supposed to be an individual's most momentous occasion of their life as they welcomed the change in their life that was intended to bring love and joy. 

She saw Abhimanyu in her peripheral vision and a second later Hina joined behind. Akshara let out a sigh of relief at the smile on the other woman's face and soon the families started the customs signalling the first step towards her brother's happy married life. 

***

"I cannot walk in these heels any longer" Aarohi groaned into Akshara's shoulder causing some of the guests to give them weird looks. Kairav and Hina opted for a semi-traditional wedding, where they celebrate every event at the destination surrounded by both friends and family instead of their respective houses where it was limited to close family only. "Waise bhi koe acha dikhane vaale ladka hain. I was looking forward to some fun at the wedding"

"Aru!" Akshara scolded at her sister's boldness, "Elders paas mein hain, chup karo. Waise bhi I thought you were first going to finalise your career before finding a husband"

"That doesn't stop me from wanting to have some fun" Aarohi grumbles and Akshara rolls her eyes at her sister's desperation. A minute later, Aarohi stands up straighter and gives Akshara a scrutinizing look before leaning in closer, "sach batao, Abhimanyu aur tumara kuch chal raha hai na?"

Akshara gives her a horrified look and Aarohi smiles triumphantly before continuing, "You both haven't spent a minute away from each other, whether it's in your childlike pranks or banter"

"Please, at that rate you and Neil would be married with kids by now" Akshara replies as Aarohi's face significantly pales as if she was going to be sick any minute now. Feeling a little worried for her sister, Akshara quickly adds "Just kidding"

"I was asking because I'm sure our families are plotting to set the two you together" Aarohi whispers furtively and Akshara is sure that her sister snuck a few drinks.  "Goenkas and Birlas need something exciting in the tabloids"

"Shut up" Akshara says sharply and Aarohi sobers up almost immediately, she hadn't meant to hurt her sister but she couldn't help but feel bitter at the fact that her family had selected a perfect groom for her, one that she dreamt of. "Aise nahi baat sakte aur aise kuch nahi honga"

Aarohi presses her lips in a straight line and looks away from her sister when Abhimanyu arrives in her peripheral view. She has to hold herself back from letting out a snark remark as he makes his way towards them, his eyes focused on Akshara

"Koi kam karengi aur sirf khaana khayengi?" He asked Akshara, a playful smile lighting up his face. "Waise bhi, the groom's family doesn't have to worry about the costs of the wedding do they?"

"Bhool na mat ki tum bhi ek ladka hoon" Akshara quips back, "But i get why it would be hard to remember"

He lets out an indignant sound causing Akshara to giggle and before they know it, their eyes consume them hiding them from the festive lights and upbeat music. He is the first one to speak and the sincerity in his voice is overwhelming, "Thank you"

"Mein kuch nahi kiya" She smiles at him. 

They stand smiling at each other and he's reminded of the stars that illuminate the night sky thinking that she's living in the form of one. 

***

Aarohi in this is a neutral character, i might not give her a complete arc in personality but i will keep her sane and a better version of herself. also foreshadowing towards abhira's arranged/contract marriage thats coming up!

please please vote and comment <33