Chapter 3

About a month later, Beca went to the campus radio station for her first day on the job.

Once inside the studio, she was greeted by her boss. "Hi there, you must be Becky, the intern. I'm Luke, the station manager," he said, introducing himself.

"Actually, it's-" Beca started to correct him.

"Hi there, I'm Jesse," he blurted out as he walked into the room, rudely interrupting Beca.

"I'm Luke. You're late," he said.

"Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?" Jesse asked Beca.

"I don't think so," she replied.

"Well, you'll have time to figure that out while you stack CDs. Now, you'll be spending a lot of downtime together, so no sex on the desk. I've been burned before," Luke said firmly before walking away.

"I do know you. I know you because you were in a taxi," Jesse remembered, turning back to Beca. "Is your dad a taxi driver?"

"No," Beca answered.

"What's your deal? Are you one of those dark and mysterious girls who removes her glasses before realizing she was beautiful all along?" Jesse asked.

"I don't wear glasses," Beca pointed out.

"Then you're halfway there," Jesse said.

Later that day, Beca was napping in her dorm room when her dad walked in.

"Beca... wake up," she stretched and sat up in response to his voice. "Funny, this doesn't look like your Intro to Philosophy class."

"I'm posing an important philosophical question: 'If I don't go to that class, will it still suck?'" Beca snarked.

"Okay, I get what's going on here; it's been a month now, and I think it's fairly obvious you're not into this like I was hoping you would be," said Beca's dad.

"What'd you expect, Dad? You know I didn't want to be here from the beginning," she reminded him.

"Well, I can see that now. But you should get out there and try something," her dad suggested.

"I got a job at the radio station, Dad."

"Oh, great; that place. It's dark, and it has those three weirdos that work there," Beca's dad grumbled.

"Well...four now," Beca fired back.

"You've got to try something new, Beca. Join one club on campus. And then at the end of the year, if you still don't want to be here, you can quit college, and I'll help you move to L.A.," he offered.

"Seriously?" Beca asked.

"Yes, seriously. But I really need to see it, Beca. This is college; join in," Beca's dad urged.