Pg 1

Cole's pov

I darted down the dark maze of allies. Left. Right. Right. Left. I was running faster than I ever have before, my heart beating out of my chest and pumping my body full of blood. Filled with fear, dread took over my body making me think sloppy. I heard the vicious steps behind me getting louder and louder. Closer and closer. I'm going to die.

I bawled my hand in a fist and whirled around to try to blindly hit my pursuer. My fist connected to the right side of the large beast's face but to no avail. The figure swiped its long arm that connected to my left side sending me flying into the wall. My vision blurred as I staggered to my feet. My legs shook as I staggered away from the beast. It looked at me and started to walk over in a teasing manner. The huge reptile squatted to my level and looked me in the eye continuing to walk.

 The huge reptile squatted to my level and looked me in the eye continuing to walk

"You know, My mother always told me not to play with my food." It said in a dark demonic voice.

"But that was before I killed her." It said chuckling.

It raised its arm to swing again. I closed my eyes waiting for death, but it never came.

I opened my eyes again to see a different figure standing over me. This one was hard to see in the dark, I could only make out its glowing yellow eyes and mouth. It was much taller and wider than the one that just attacked me. The sheer sight of it gave me goosebumps. The monster that attacked me was sprawled across the floor in 3 different pieces. I prepared for the worst. But the large one just turned around and started to walk away. I couldn't help myself and had to ask for its name.

"Who are you?" I asked curious and scared.

It just turned its head and paused, then turned to continue walking. I guess it didn't speak.

I sat down, my legs finally giving out. My body was flooded with adrenaline making me jittery. After a few seconds of gathering my breath, I stood up using the wall to help gain my balance. I look at the monster one last time. 

I made it to the end of the alley and looked at the sky. I didn't have my phone, but it looked around midnight to me.  There was nobody on the streets, everyone knows better than to be out at night. I walked for about 2 hours, my body aching with pain. My thighs are sore from all the running I've done. 

I finally made it to my apartment complex, walking in and to the elevator. I press the button for floor 13. The doors opened and I almost collapsed trying to walk out. Slowly stumbling to my room, I pull out my key and unlock the door. I walk in plopping on the bed instantly falling into a deep sleep.

~~~

I woke up. I was covered in sweat and exhausted. I had that dream again, although it's less of a dream and more of a flashback. It's been exactly 2 years since that incident. 

I should explain, I live in Los Angelis in the year 2267. 2 kinds of intelligent beings live on this planet, one of them being humans, like me, and the other being human/animal hybrids called beast men. Humans and beast men have been at war for millennials and have only made peace here recently. Although I wouldn't call it peace, they're highly restricted and get paid severely less than normally legal, not only that but they are closed off in a small 40 square block space that is guarded on all sides. The only people allowed in are detectives or highly respected businessmen. Now that you know that we can continue.

I pulled myself out of bed and stumbled into the bathroom. My apartment was small but somewhat cozy. I looked into the mirror.

I am not the richest person in the world so I can't afford new clothes or to go to the hospital

I am not the richest person in the world so I can't afford new clothes or to go to the hospital. So, you can guess that I don't have a lot of friends, or any at all. I got the scar from trying to be a vigilante for a little to pick up some skills and let's just say I'm lucky to be alive. After that I spent my life savings on a training course to become a detective, surprisingly I passed with flying colors.

I sprayed on the last of my cologne and headed out the door. Today was the day I get registered as a detective. Detectives are looked down upon in society because of their looks and many other things. They are forced to wear a mask to hide their identity when they work and oftentimes die within their first year. But since it's so dangerous, it pays pretty well. One more thing that people don't like, is that both humans and hybrids work there, and are paid as equals. I mean seriously, give these guys a break.

I headed down the street and took a bus to a smallish building that had worn-out lettering of what I thought said the detective. I walked up the front steps and entered the building. The first thing I noticed was the lack of people. there were only like 13 people and I saw no beast men either, I thought I was in the wrong place but then I heard a voice.

"You must be the new guy!!" A man yelled with a nasty scar above his left eye.

"Um, yeah," I said still looking around.

"Come with me!! By the way, my name is Michal!!" He yelled.

Why was he so loud I asked myself, scrunching my eyebrows at my oncoming headache.

We walked into an office, and I sat down in front of his desk. I was expecting tons of paperwork and piles of warnings. But all he did was ask a few questions.

"What's your name young one?" He asked.

"Cody" I replied.

"You have a family?" he asked.

"No" I replied.

"You have any sort of life outside of work?" He asked.

"No" I replied.

"If you went missing would anyone look for you?" He asked.

"Probably not" I replied furrowing my brow.

"Perfect welcome aboard!!" He said with a grin.

I was shocked but kind of relieved, I didn't want to do any paperwork anyways. And I guess the questioning was a warning in itself.

"Now, pick your partner!!" He screamed seemingly more excited than I was.

He laid out 4 folders in front of me. 

"One question," I asked.

"Sure, go for it." He spoke.

"Why are there no Beast men here?" I asked genuinely curious.

"We used to have a few, but since they're more capable, they get the harder assignments. Now we only have one left alive." He said all while smiling.

"I'll be his partner," I said.

I wasn't sure why I said that, I just had a gut feeling. Michal leaned over the desk getting uncomfortably close to me.

"You sure you want to do that? Boy." He said with an even wider grin before continuing.

"He is a killer, ruthless. gone through 7 partners so far. Are you still up for it?" He asked. 

"Why not," I replied.

Hello, this is the author. Tell me if you catch any mistakes. This is just the very beginning and I have been working tiredly trying to get this idea on paper. Anyways, I'll try to get the next one on out soon, see ya.