Vol 4: Chapter 19 - Endgame

7th August,

7th Day,

"What the fuck is this...?"

I mean, I already suspected it, and this is a great confirmation, but what the fuck?

I stood at the boulder where our mechanism for rights of possession is, staring blankly at the two things in my hands.

"I genuinely have no clue what's going on."

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to even begin piecing the pieces of this puzzle.

I couldn't tell if this is good or bad. I'll have to make use of this now, but from this point onwards, I'm unsure of where I should begin my investigation to get to the bottom of this.
.
.
.

"What'd you call me for, Ayanokouji? Shouldn't you be with your class during the last day?"

"We're in an alliance, remember? I'm here to help you."

"Help... us?"

He didn't appear convinced. From his point-of-view, his class had been doing just fine. They have been operating at a consistent pace and from the beginning to end, everything went quite smoothly.

He's probably thinking to himself 'what did I miss?'

"I appreciate the offer, I truly do. But, can you please enlighten me here? I don't have a clue as to why we need help now, given how smoothly everything went during the last 7 days?"

From the look in his eyes, I could tell he didn't truly believe what he said, despite how much he wanted to have faith in his class. Still, I'm a little surprised Kanzaki was able to say what he said.

"Because I'm pretty sure the other leaders are going to put Himeno Yuki down as your leader."

He stood frozen with his eyes wide at my words. His hands became stiff, and his eyes darted in a panic, trying to analyse me to ascertain the validity of my words.

"And, if I tell you she isn't our leader?"

"Class B and D are going to write her name down either way."

His shoulders slumped slightly, realising what's about to happen to his class. The previous fighting spirit he had seemed to have left him.

There's no point in trying to bluff me, Kanzaki. It would never work. Besides, I'm here to assist you. That contract we made would be a huge plus for us, and is currently serving no use as of now other than gaining Class C as allies.

"I see... guess that's 100 points gone just like that, huh?"

"Didn't I tell you? I'm here to help your class."

"How? Is there really any way my class can be saved in this situation?"

"There's always a way. You just have not been able to find it, Kanzaki."

"What way is that?"

A slight light of hope returned to Kanzaki's eyes.

"Firstly, your word that you won't mention my involvement to Honami."

"Huh? Why?"

"Because I want to protect that kind and gentle soul she possesses. At the same time, I also need to uphold our agreement and assist your class."

That's partially a lie. I'm more inclined on the destructive side.

"I don't quite get it, but given the state of things, I'll trust you. You have my word that Ichinose won't hear a word of your involvement in this. So, how is my class going to be saved from this situation?"