Chapter 4

{The Next Afternoon}

~Darius POV~

"Now everyone's here." Alador said as we went into his house.

"Raine's here already?" I asked.

"They've been here an hour." He shrugged.

"Ah." I said, a little embarrassed.

We went into the living room. Raine was on the couch. I noted a few of Alador's projects in the corner. He really has been working on abomination themed technology.

"So, what are we supposed to animate?" Alador asked Raine and I.

Right, we didn't discuss that.

"I brought a doll." Raine said, taking a doll out of pocket.

It's a small doll, not much bigger than the palm of their hand.

"That works." I said.

Alador nodded.

"The moon won't reach position for a few hours so we could all just get to know each other." Raine said. "I'm curious how the two of you met. Your 'platonic' relationship intrigues me."

"Why did you say platonic like that?" I asked.

"No reason." They replied.

"It's kind of embarrassing." Alador admitted.

"I wanna hear it." Raine stated.

"You aren't going to stop bringing it up until we tell you, are you?" I asked.

"Nope." Raine answered.

I sighed.

"Fine." Alador started sheepishly. "We were 7 and we both were trying to get into the advanced class at Hexside."

[Flashback To Roughly 10 Years Prior]

~7yro Alador POV~

That couldn't have gone worse! None of my spells worked! I embarrassed myself in front of the principal! I'll never get into the good classes!

To avoid getting rejected, I hid in an empty classroom.

{Half An Hour Later}

~7yro Darius POV~

My abomination blew up on stage. If I can't make a simple abomination correctly I'll never get into the older classes.

I went inside an empty classroom.

"Stupid! Darius! Stupid! Can't you make a simple abomination!" I snapped at myself.

In my anger I kicked the teacher's desk. A yelp came from it and I stopped. Did...did the desk just yelp? Desks don't normally yelp. I walked to the other side and looked under it. A boy my age was hiding there. Did he yelp?

"Did you yelp?" I asked. "Did I scare you?"

He just pulled his knees to his chest and held his arms around them.

"Boys aren't supposed to get scared." He said.

"Your parents tell you that?" I asked.

He nodded.

"My mom does..." He mumbled

I knelt down.

"My parents say that too. Well it's nonsense! My uncle says boys can be scared!" I said and he looked up. "'Boys can't be scared.' 'boys can't cry.' 'boys can't be blah blah blah.' it's nonsense."